1.5TB WD external hard drive not recognized by computer

Closed
justin - Jan 16, 2015 at 01:47 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jan 16, 2015 at 03:24 AM
Hello,
i just got a new school laptop today (from school) (lenovo think pad yoga (running windows 8.1) and on bringing it home i plugged my hard drive in to the computer it worked a first but after plugging it in for the second time it no longer worked. the computer still made all the sound when you plug and unplug the hard drive and all the lights on the hard drive still worked but it did not show up in my computer or disk management. i then tested it on another 2 computers and it worked on both. the only difference between the other 2 computers and this one was the operating system (they both ran windows 7) and i am not sure if this would effect it or not

thanks for your help!

Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 16, 2015 at 03:24 AM
Hi Justin,

Could you tell me your HDD model? I would recommend you to go to Device Manager, and, if the drive is listed under USB devices, uninstall it, restart the PC and plug the device back in. There should be no difference between the different Windows versions.

Hope this helps
i have just noticed that the hard drive is even recognized when you go to eject hard drive safely