Windows XP Browser unable to access Websites on Home Wi-Fi

Closed
mickster Posts 1 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 17, 2015 - Jan 17, 2015 at 11:56 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Jan 19, 2015 at 09:22 AM
I am running Windows XP on a laptop that I use at work and at home to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi. I can access all of the websites I enter in the URL using IE or Firefox browsers while at work using the Wi-Fi there, but with the same laptop an same Browser settings, I cannot access any website with either of those Browsers while at home using the Wi-Fi there. The IE Browser just stops after 2 progress bars. The Firefox Browser reports that it can't connect to the server. I have tried to ipconfig /release or /renew, etc. with no help. I called my Verizon ISP for my Home Wi-Fi service and re-installed the default setting on the Router and recreated a Wi-Fi connection with no luck either. I can connect to the Internet with other laptops running Windows 7 or 8 on my home Wi-Fi without any problems. Can you suggest why the Internet access for this Windows XP laptop is stopped on the home Wi-Fi?
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Jan 17, 2015 at 02:55 PM
My guess is that your WiFi adapter settings are set to a static IP address. If its a work owned laptop, you might be unable to go any further, but the following is worth a try ...

At some points in this you might have to click that you want to do what you are about to try if the "UAC" is on.

From the control panel go to "Network Connections". Right click your wireless network adapter and choose "Properties". Now click on Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click the "Properties" button.

Make a note of any settings - you will need them to connect at work again.

Select the "Obtain an IP Address automatically" and also select "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

Click the "OK" button.

When its time for work repeat the process, but put in the settings noted earlier.
Brian - Thank you for your response. The computer is not a work computer so there would be no conflict there in re-establishing the settings you mention. However, the WiFi settings are not set to a static IP Address. When I check Properties for the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Net adapter I have installed, the "Obtain an IP address automatically" is already checked and the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is also checked. As I indicated in my Question, the very same computer with the very same WiFi settings can access the Internet at work using the public WiFi there, but it will not access the Internet when used the computer from my home. The WiFi connectivity in my home works with other computers, though not Windows XP computers, just fine, Also, I performed troubleshooting of my home WiFi with the ISP and re-configured the Router by re-establishing the WiFi connectivity and resetting the SSID and Password, all to no avail. Do you have any other suggestions? THX, Mike W.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Jan 19, 2015 at 09:22 AM
Sorry you are still having trouble.

It might be worth asking your machine to "forget" your current home network and resetting it up again, making sure you use the correct password when entering it. Dont forget the password is case sensitive (a is not the same as A". If you have already reset your SSID, then did you use the same one as before? If not there is no reason to ask the machine to forget the old one, but I have seen stranger things, so deleting it might be worth it anyway.

Also, make sure the encryption type is set right. It it usually AES or TKIP.

Also, it might be worth updating the Wireless card drivers, but as it works on other networks, i would be surprised if that makes a difference.