Western Digital Hard Disk Corrupted

Closed
Alex - Jan 23, 2015 at 03:03 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jan 26, 2015 at 03:18 AM
Hello,

I Have bought a WD hard drive 1TB and i have a lot of things inside almost 700gb and then one day the driver stopped working i just want to recover the files if its possible...the pc doesnt recognise it sometimes it shows up that there is a drive as an external one but its not readable at all and when it does it computer stucks all the way till i unplug it. the white light is working and when i put it on the pc it makes a noise bu i cant open the drive...please can u help me find a way its been a long time that im trying to take it back to life.

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 23, 2015 at 05:19 PM
You might try removing the physical hard drive and mounting it internally in a desktop. Some people have found that a damaged drive can sometimes be read using Linux.

Good luck
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 26, 2015 at 03:18 AM
Hi Alex,

Could you tell me drive's model number? Have you tried using another USB cable and testing the drive on another PC? Search for the drive in Disk Management and check if it appears as not initialized or with wrong file format. Check if the drive is listed under USB devices in Device Manager. If it is, uninstall it, restart PC and plug the device back in.
What Xpcman suggested about Linux is a good option to copy your data. Search for some Live CD, it might be helpful. I do not recommend you to open the drive and try to connect it internally. This voids the warranty. Some drives have hardware encryption and can not work if not in the original enclosure. Most of the WD external drives have their USB port soldered to the drive, so you may not be able to connect it with SATA connection.

Hope this helps