Retrival of email login data

Closed
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Feb 6, 2015 at 03:21 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Feb 6, 2015 at 05:23 PM
Hi guys - I wonder if you could help with a friends problem?

He was using Windows XP and Outlook Express to access his emails.
Then tragedy struck and his motherboard failed BIG time!
I supplied a new motherboard and as he was feeling flush a new hard drive (the old PATA one wouldnt fit his new SATA based mobo) and Windows 7.

Now the sad bit ... he has forgotten the login details for his emails. We know the old hard drive is ok and can access all the files from it, but cannot boot it. Can we lift the Outlook Express login details from that drive and put it on the Windows Live mail that he has installed on his new drive?

I can connect the old drive via a USB caddy, so copying the file is an option, but cannot boot the machine from it as the systems are too different.

I dont know why, but his email supplier wont give him any help with his password, even though he can answer every question they ask.

Thanks in advance.

I really appreciate kudos points as a payment for solving issues :o)
Related:

2 responses

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 6, 2015 at 05:12 PM
Please dont answer this thread - the results could be abused (even though in this case it is a legitimate enquiry)
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 6, 2015 at 05:23 PM
Hello Brian,

I fully understand your concern and rightly so.

In this case, when using Outlook Express, one must have an account either configured with the Internet Service Provider or have configured Outlook Express to receive and send e-mail through an e-mail client like Gmail.

In the first case, one must contact the ISP and in the second, must go through the usual procedure for a forgotten password.

We shall close this thread as you and I, considering the circumstances, have provided all available information.

Best regards