My acer laptop wont turn on and wont recognize the power cord!

Solved/Closed
pixie - Feb 8, 2015 at 02:41 PM
conradly Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday February 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 17, 2015 - Feb 17, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Help! ive tried resetting my laptop numerous times. even taking the battery out and trying the power button, when I take the batter out, put it back in, and press the power button the one light comes on, however thats all it does, and the laptop wont even recognize that the power cord is plugged into the laptop! help!

Related:

2 responses

conradly Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday February 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 17, 2015 1
Feb 17, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Pixie, I had the same problem with a new Acer Aspire as well (right after receiving it back from Acer for a different problem. The last thing I wanted to do was send it back to them again). After troubleshooting, battery, etc. I reported the problem to Acer (it was under warranty at the time) and insisted they send me a new AC Adapter. Instead they sent me a "partial" AC Adapter, the part that goes from the adapter to the computer (they did not include the cord that plugs the adapter into the wall.) So now I had 2 adapter-to-computer parts and 1 wall cord. What I discovered was that if the one of the adapter-to-computer was plugged in and the power was interrupted for whatever reason while the laptop was on, that the laptop would NOT recognize that same adapter when it was turned on again or replugged in. However I found when I switched the adapter-to-computer parts, the laptop WOULD recognize the power and charge again. I suspect this may have something to do with the BIOS recognizing the hardware or something but prefer not to mess with that. In any case, this works so I just keep both adapters handy. If the power is interrupted I can just switch the adapter-to-computer parts for good to go.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 8, 2015 at 06:53 PM
Hi pixie,

It sounds to me like either your power supply is not working or the socket that plug the power supply into could be broken. The easiest check is to get another power supply that is designed to fit your Acer and see if it works. You could also try your power supply into another Acer.

I hope this identifies your problem.