My laptop is dead

Closed
chris - Feb 8, 2015 at 02:45 PM
 gera - Oct 27, 2015 at 03:34 PM
Please help, today I performed a system restore on my toshiba satellite laptop, when it restarted and I went log in I got a blue screen with an error message and a :( face, it then shut down.
I tried turning back on, get the red toshiba logo as normal then screen goes black, occasionally giving a cursor.
I've read other threads about holding down the 0 (zero) key and restarting hard drive but this didnt work, I then tried unplugging power, removing bettery, holding power key for 60secs, plugging back in and turning back on but now I have this error message
"The instructiin at 0x400207f8 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.
click OK to terminate the program"
I hope its not too dead, I am self employed and all my invoices are on there for tax man!!

Also above the error box it says "Realtek HD Audio Background Process for Vista: RAVBg64.exe - A..."
also it was running on windows 8
Bout as much info as I have at mo!!
Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 8, 2015 at 04:32 PM
Hello,

Good thing the zero key did not work because you would have erased all of your data.

Why did you try a system restore?

What kind of system restore did you try?

Look like you have a hardware issue.

Can you boot in safe mode?
Well the zero key did fetch up reset which I did, I meant it didn't work as in it didnt rectify anything!!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171 > chris
Feb 8, 2015 at 06:15 PM
With all due respect, if you don't read and answer all of my questions we will be here for a very long time.

I repeat:

Why did you try a system restore?

What kind of system restore did you try?

Can you boot in safe mode, with or without networking?

You have a Toshiba which is sad because things get more complicated. Toshiba problems are recurrent.

Have you recently installed new software or harddare? Which is it and from what source?

I must now log off till the morning.

Hang in there.

Best regards and God save the Queen
Hi, I did a restore to try and get rid of 'ads by websave' n other pop-ups I was constantly getting!! The restore I did was in conrol panel under recovery, restored from day before (saturday) as was not having these issues then!! I dont know about safe mode, how would I do this?!
No new hard or soft -ware been added that I know of!!
Thanks for your help so far!!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171 > chris
Feb 9, 2015 at 04:19 AM
press the Shift+F8 key or
hold the SHIFT key and click Restart
Hi, sorry for late reply, just home from work!! Tried pressing shift+f8, did nothing, and tried holding shift and pressing restart but it just goes into sleep mode, not sure at what point to press though, while the logo is displayed or when on the black/blank screen?!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 9, 2015 at 04:43 PM
Hello Chris,

No need to apologize.

Websave and other pop-ups are viruses which get into the root of the system. Trying a system restore before disinfecting the machine was an error.

Since your machine does not boot in safe mode, I advise that you restore to factory settings:

Here is the correct method:

https://ccm.net/faq/4811-restore-toshiba-laptop-to-factory-settings#using-the-recovery-partition

Sorry but all of your data will be lost.

Good luck and let me know.