Unable to connect to wireless network

Solved/Closed
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Feb 12, 2015 at 06:56 PM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Oct 19, 2015 at 06:49 PM
Hi guys and gals,

A weird problem for you. Any ideas are more than welcome!

I have 2 wireless networks - SSID1 and SSID2.

I can connect to SSID1 without any problem at all, thus proving the Windows 7 based laptop and network card work.

I cannot connect to SSID2 on this laptop. However, other devices can without issue, thus proving the router is working.

I hear you shouting check the SSID is entered correctly - it is.
Now you are saying "Check your password and do you know it is case sensitive" - I know its correct in every way - I set up the other devices and the router password.
"Ah," you say, "Then how about the encryption type?" - Yes both router and the laptop are set to WPA2 Personal (as are the other devices).
"Only one thing left - the authentication method" - sadly no - all are set to TKIP

I have deleted the network connection, I have then tried to set up the connection by letting Windows 7 find the details with the Connect To A Network "link" and by setting it up manually.

A wired connection to the router works without problems.

The connection fails with a message:

Windows cannot connect to "SSID2"
Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues :o)
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 13, 2015 at 11:27 AM
This was due to MAC address filtering. Somehow the router had singled out the machine and added its MAC address to the blocked users list.

... or did I have a senior moment and do it myself?

Anyway, its all sorted now. Thanks if anyone saw this and was thinking about it, and sorry to waste your time.

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues :o)
xghajra Posts 2 Registration date Monday October 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2015
Oct 19, 2015 at 05:50 PM
mine has failed ... i really cannot figure why ..BTW what r the hot keys relating to wireless internet

THANKS A LOT
BEST REGARDS
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Oct 19, 2015 at 06:49 PM
Hi Xghajra,

It would be best for you to raise a new thread for this as more people who can help will see it.

Also, you dont mention your machine make and model - some use one set of keys, others use a different set of keys, and some have a manual switch on the case somewhere.

Good luck.

Also, I just saw your new thread - I have edited my post after seeing it. I'm surprised it is still active as it was very abrupt and could have been seen as rude.