No signal on monitor after installing new PSU

Solved/Closed
Mr.dark5 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday February 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 19, 2015 - Feb 19, 2015 at 05:46 PM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Feb 22, 2015 at 06:09 PM
I recently installed a new PSU and graphics card done correctly, wired up good got it running but I forgot to power my disk drive so I turned it off wired the disk drive up and now there's no signal I've tried taking one RAM out then powering it, nothing also tried unplugging everything holding the power button then putting it all back together, still nothing and have ran out of ideas, anyone else got some?

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 19, 2015 at 06:24 PM
Hi Mr.dark5,

A few silly questions ...

Is the computer showing any signs of life?
Is the graphics card one that needs power direct from the PSU, and is it connected?
Have you tried booting it with the disc drive unwired again?
What PSU, Graphics card, and motherboard are you using? - and how many drives are connected?

At this stage my guess is (and it is only a guess) that the power supply is not big enough. I am being premature here, but it might be worth checking.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 19, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Ok, so we can discount a "weak" power supply. Thats good.

You dont say that there are other signs of life, but I guess there are. You also dont say that the PSU is connected to the graphics card, but it is implied by your previous answer.

Do you get anything when you first switch on (like the BIOS flash screen)?

As this is a new graphics card can we discount that it is a bad one by reinstalling the old one? If this doesnt work can it be that the monitor/monitor cable is faulty? Do you have another to try?

A final thought ... I guess the Graphics card is seated correctly? It might be worth removing it and reinstalling it.
No I don't get a anything coming up , it just starts up like normal but nothin in the screen the P.O.S.T test seems to be okay, the monitor is fine I use it all the time for my play station the cable aren't faulty once again I use the same one for my playstaion (it's a HDMI) and I have tried removing the graphics card and placing it back it correctly but I can't try my old one my friend has taken it an has already sold it.