2 Computers, both won't boot/monitor no signal after CPU swap

Closed
Gimatria Posts 6 Registration date Friday February 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015 - Feb 20, 2015 at 10:51 AM
 Blocked Profile - Feb 20, 2015 at 07:16 PM
Hello,

I've got a pretty old PC, and a friend of mine recently gave me his old PC to try and utilize the hardware from that PC to upgrade my own.

The thing that would've upgraded my PC the most was the CPU, and fortunately they have the same socket. So I carefully removed both heatsinks, removed both CPU's and got rid of the old thermal paste. I applied new thermal paste and swapped the newer one into my own PC. After that I tried to boot the computer, but the monitor got no signal. The PC fans run good, but there are no startup beeps and the HD seems to be inactive very quick after starting. I hooked up the PC that was gifted to me (with my old CPU in it), and that had the exact same problems (The monitor, the absence of beeps, and the HD).

I then went to search online for possible solutions, and tried some things to help me solve it;

- I changed the RAM, leaving only 1 in. I've tried all sockets, and all RAM.
- I removed all RAM, disconnected all DVD-Drives and Hard-drives. Still no beeps
- Used an eraser to clean the RAM and remove static
- I've hooked the monitor directly to the motherboard
- Changed monitors
- Changed monitor cables
- Changed videocards, tried both videocards on both motherboards
- Reset Cmos
- Removed the power cable, held power button for 30 seconds, plug power back in.
- Disconnected everything from the motherboards, adding stuff one by one to determine the problem
- Started both PC's fully connected to other hardware (keyboard, mouse, etc..), and started them with only monitor and power connected.
- Change CPU's back, making the setup exactly the same as they were about 3 hours ago.

I feel like I've tried everything I could find online and it comes down to bad motherboards. But it seems almost impossible that I've broken 2 perfectly fine motherboards, especially since I've been very methodical and precise when swapping the CPU.

Does anyone still have some suggestions that I can try?
Help would be greatly appreciated!
Related:

5 responses

Blocked Profile
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:06 AM
Hello,

have you checked the manual of the motherboard to see if it is compatible with your new CPU?

if you put your old CPU back in, does it come on?
Gimatria Posts 6 Registration date Friday February 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM
Yes, I have checked the manual. The new CPU is compatible. When I put my old CPU back in, the problems remain. So I assume the CPU's are ruled out as the problem.
Blocked Profile
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:25 AM
Have you remove all components from your motherboard and start added stuff one by one?
Gimatria Posts 6 Registration date Friday February 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM
I had already tried to start without anything connected, just the RAM connected (in every possible form) and only the GPU connected (without RAM and drives).

I just now tried the following:
- GPU connected, with only 1 RAM (in all possible RAM sockets, and tried both RAM sticks)
- GPU connected with both RAM sticks inserted

Results stay the same, no monitor signal and no warning or startup beeps.
Blocked Profile
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Are the fans spinning?
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:44 AM
Yes, all the fans are spinning
Blocked Profile
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:45 AM
It sounds like motherboard or CPU then.

can you not use your friends old PC?
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:48 AM
Yeah, it sounds like a motherboard or CPU problem to me too. The weird part is though that I can't use either of the PC's anymore after the swap and both have the same symptoms. So I either broke both CPU's or both motherboards which would mean extreme bad luck or I did something very wrong. But I've been rather careful and know what I was doing. So I got my hopes up that it could still be something else.
Blocked Profile > Gimatria Posts 6 Registration date Friday February 20, 2015 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015
Feb 20, 2015 at 12:30 PM
Did you earth yourself?
Feb 20, 2015 at 12:46 PM
I earthed myself by touching the metal of the case before unplugging the PC. I then worked on the PC's on a wooden kitchen table.

On second thought, I'm not really sure I touched the metal casing before unplugging the PC. Might have something to do with it. Also, I used a magnetic screwdriver, although that has never before been a problem. Unfortunately I can't figure out anymore if that really was the problem, but it might be the culprit.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Blocked Profile
Feb 20, 2015 at 07:16 PM
You should never use magnets near computers.

You should have left the power cable in the computer whilst you were working on it. I think you've managed to shaft it.