Ask a question Report

Facebook Home page won't load [Solved/Closed]

frustrated - Latest answer on Oct 7, 2012 01:21PM
I've seen other messags like mine, but I haven't been able to solve this problem...
I have a desktop Emachines computer, and I'm using Windows XP.
Yesterday, I was using Facebook, and it was working fine. I was checking messages on one page, and playing the "Pirates" app in another window... and it all just stopped working. So I exited everything, and tried to sign back in, but when I did, the home page wouldn't load. It sort of comes up. It says Facebook, and it has the links at the top that say "profile, friends,inbox," and it has the little notification thing at the bottom... The little red bubble says I have 5 notifications, but when I click it nothing happens. I CAN however, click the "profile" link and go to my profile wall. I can see everything there, but none of the links work. I can't remove posts or anything.
I signed onto my husband's facebook, and then my sister's, and the same exact problem happened. Home page won't load, links don't work.
Everything else on the internet is working fine. Yahoo, Aol, Myspace, Google... it's all working perfectly.
I have emptied my cookies, cache, temporary folders. I have restarted the computer. I have allowed add ons and pop ups. I have made sure Facebook is a "Trusted Site." I have run Avast virus scan and Malwarebytes' Anti Malware scan. They detected no problems. Following a suggestion on this site, I downloaded Opera at www.opera.com. No results. I emailed Facebook. No answer. I called my ISP. Their answer: Server must be down. The server is not down. My sister down the road is on Facebook right now. My firewall is not blocking Facebook.
I think it may be a virus, because all of the icons on my desktop all suddenly have blue backgrounds for no reason... but Avast and Malwarebytes are finding nothing, there's nothing suspicious in my list of programs... However, if I did pick up a virus, it came from Facebook, because I'd been mostly offline for a long time, except to check my Facebook messages and play the facebook apps.
If anyone can tell me how to fix this, I will really appreciate it. I've wasted 2 hours today changing settings and downloading "fixes" that do nothing.
Read more 
Answer
+576
moins plus
Luckily, I'm a genius and have figured out how to resolve this. Add an 's' after your http, thereby making it a secure site connection. In other words your url should read: https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home (instead of http://... )

frustrated- Apr 21, 2011 09:40PM
Worked to get me on FB. I was prompted to change my settings to the https://. Did that, but when I tried to get my messages it knocked me back off. When I tried to go to a game(FT) it knocked me off and I was told to hit continue and it would let me go to FT and then switch back automatically when I went back home. Didn't. Knocked me off again. Couldn't get back on that time. Going to try again. I think it is in some setting of my security programs, but don't know which one. I have changed every one that I know to change. Enabled cookies, added to safe zone site, etc. Any ideas?
Lesa- Apr 22, 2011 09:07AM
worked for me THANKS
hantu- Apr 22, 2011 10:38AM
no genius here. tried all and failed!
Ready to chuck my computer out the window- Apr 22, 2011 04:28PM
Didn't work for me either!!!!
syndromeblue- Oct 7, 2012 01:21PM
you really are a genius - fixed mine too. thank you
Answer
+90
moins plus
I fixed mine by simply clearing all saved browsing data on my browser.
I use Chrome and to do this you go to options -> Personal Stuff -> Clear browsing data... and then select delete everything (apart from passwords).
Next time you load facebook up, it should ask you to sign in (not automatically) and then the home page should load up.
Hope this helps.

Answer
+70
moins plus
Ok Yes, Putting https:// instead of http:// infront of the Address will work, But this will become annoying after a while as you will need to do that on every page you change too.

SOLUTION:
1) If you have Firefox, Go on http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/
2) Download the Latest Browser, making sure you close all programs down first.

1) If you have Internet Explorer, Go on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/default.aspx

1) If you have a different Browser, then look for the website that you aquire the Browser from.

REASON: (Why does this work?)
The Reason why this should work is because your Browser may have became corrupted. Reinstalling will make sure your files are back to where they belong.

Enjoy Facebooking!

(Don't Forget to + me!)

welshgirly- Nov 9, 2009 05:15PM
Hi sam ive tried this and it still does not work. The s does work but does not enable chat i am sooooooooooooooooooooo frustrated wih this any help it really appreciated!
Answer
+65
moins plus
here is how you fix it if clearing out cache and cookies don't work.

Go here and edit this file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

open with notepad HOSTS

you will see in the file:

127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

delete those entries and save file.

Works now!!

Make sure to run AntiVirus scan afterwards.

Best of Luck!

White BEE!!!

emai- Mar 14, 2010 01:35AM
tq.. u steps really works
MICI1- Mar 25, 2010 12:56PM
it works for me THX!!!
naseem- Mar 26, 2010 09:45AM
thnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx you are the genuis ;)
Answer
+44
moins plus
Hey, I am having a similar problem..
All my pages work, all but facebook.
I click the tab for facebook, but the page comes white and it wont load and i cant get onto it.
Usually, I can go on it for 5mins then this happened?
I think this is just facebook?... but how do I solve this?
I cannot contact them because I cannot get on the site, and this has been happening for weeks.
Its very annoying, and every other website works perfectly.
Thanks, if you know whats wrong please help! :)

PS- I am on a macbook, so am using Safari explorer.

Answer
+41
moins plus
I can login to facebook on a friends computer but not mine. I have uninstalled, av programs , spyware and even deleted some files manually and i feel it is a virus but i have not been able to find it at all.. PLEASE HELP! also i can attempt to login on infected machine with someone elses info and it still says "page cannot be displayed"

Answer
+29
moins plus
You are a GENIUS......IT WORKS NOW! YIPEEEEEEEEEEE

Answer
+21
moins plus
PROBLEM FOUND AND SOLVED!!!!

This is caused by trojan vundo and can be detected using anti malware.
The link to the anti malware is this http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Once you scanned, detected, and deleted the file. Everything works normal after restart.

Good luck.

Answer
+11
moins plus
Hi there
I'm having the same exact problem! It just started a few days ago. Before that, it was working fine!
Can someone please tell me how to fix this, its very annoying and not sure what to do.
Facebook is the only site that is messed up.

Thanks

hess- Dec 17, 2009 05:39PM
Every time go onto facebook website it crashes windows, it is the only website that crashes and is really annoying any help welcome !!!!
ibglfn9- Mar 21, 2010 10:39AM
I tried the http thing by adding "s", started somewhat working better.
also had similar problem with creating website on office live, had to use a different browser (google chrome) to get everything to work right. I tried everything, I am a geek in training (49 years old). I have windows 7 64 bit, using IE 8 32 bit. So we are all a little different. I went to uninstall programs, on left pane there is "turn windows features on or off", turn off IE 8. Click yes on pop up.restart computer. after restart, do the same thing, but turn IE 8 back on. restart. after all this, my facebook and office live worked fine. I still had office outlook emails, address book, favorites intact. I did however, backup everything for safety sake prior to trying this. ALWAYS BACKUP!!! It worked for me, and I am happy now!
hantu- Apr 22, 2011 10:41AM
Agree wholeheartedly!
Answer
+11
moins plus
first thing .
Adding " s " did not work for me
all sites are opening perfectly! and when i open facebook.com only-it shows

Server not found
" Firefox cannot find the server "

i tried logging in through CHROME,INTERNET EXPLORER none worked

is this a virus that blocks only the facebook ..??
every thing was fine before 2 days..
i have no adBlocker programs and i use Firefox 3.6

plszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me fixing this issue...

Answer
+8
moins plus
hi,
try to do a system restore to solve your problem.
>accessories
>system tools
>system restore
if despite doing a system restore your problem is not solved, then it must be a problem on facebook itself.

Sarah- Jan 6, 2010 01:11PM
I have the same blasted problem. It worked fine on my computer and it's being fixed right now. My husband's laptop uses the same Internet connection and Facebook has never worked properly for it. I tried a different browser, but IE and Firefox both do it. I tried clearing cookies, restarting, updating Java and other things, etc., but nothing works except adding s to http, but then I have to add the s to every page.

My husband's laptop has XP Professional installed, but it seems this is happening on all versions of Windows. Very annoying. I can't wait to get my computer back and use it then, but it really bugs that I can't fix this on my husband's laptop.
Kenny- Mar 1, 2010 12:33PM
I like u
somebody- Jan 6, 2010 06:52PM
I posted my quastion 1 min after the guy at the top of the page and , ya, i posted this 5 mins after i posted my quastion. its about the dsi so yo wont care about it, un less you kid
jeinnie allenna- Feb 21, 2010 08:49AM
hi there .. where can i find the accesories ..
in my situation i can come up to the website but when im about to log in it douesnt work ..

HELP ME
Answer
+7
moins plus
I'm having the same problems... and the S thing works, but it's a pain in the @$$. i can log on to another person's computer and all is well... so i don't know if it's a problem with my browser, my software or what.
looking forward to seeing a solution somewhere.

Answer
+7
moins plus
I'm running Windows XP. When I was using SKYPE earlier tonight, there was a yellow stripe down the middle of the video of the person I was talking to. In diagnosing, I found that I had to "disable" the DirectX Features for Direct 3D Acceleration and/or to "disable" the Direct 3D Acceleration. After doing that it worked ok on SKYPE; no yellow stripe.

BUT, just now, when I logged onto Facebook, I encountered the problem with Internet Explorer 7 (had 8 but went back to 7) that everyone has listed above (IE cannot open http://www.facebook.com/home.php).

I "enabled" the DirectX Features once again, and NO PROBLEM.

Go to START > RUN > Type in the box "dxdiag" > OK

Under DISPLAY tab - make sure the Direct X Features have Direct Draw Acceleration ENABLED (as well as the Direct 3D Acceleration ENABLED.

Fixed it for me.

Answer
+5
moins plus
Hi,

I was experiencing THE SAME PROBLEM. Then I realized it was Mozilla firefox, my browser. So I switched back to Internet explorer and it works fine. Try it once I'm sure it'll be fine.

Answer
+3
moins plus
I'm having the same problem. adding the 's' works but i hate it! can anyone help?

ButterflyH- Jan 6, 2010 06:40PM
I had a problem like it and had to keep using the "s". Check whatever you have to block ads with and make sure *cdn.* is not listed. Once I removed that entry from my blocked list then I was able to load the site like normal.
AceManHeat- Jan 19, 2010 02:18PM
OPEN INTERNET EXPLORER OPTIONS>
CLICK THE ADVANCED TAB>
TICK ENABLE SSL2.0>
Click APPLY and problem solved. This relates to all version of IE especially 8
Ankylos- Mar 26, 2010 08:11AM
Ace, that didn't help, neither did the 's' thing, which I heard of on another thread like this, since 'genius' jeff never responded to anyone's subsequent requests maybe he hijacked that answer
Answer
+3
moins plus
Okay right, i've been having the exact same problem for over a week now and i've finally sorted it out. I was using Internet Explorer 8 but didn't presume it would be anything to do with that because i downloaded it over a month ago and everything had been working fine, until last week. Anyway, i found that deleting IE8 solved the problem straight away, to do this go to:
1.) start
2.) control panel
3.) uninstall a programme (which is on the left hand pane at the bottom)
4.) view installed programmes (which is on the left hand pane at the top)
5.) uninstall a programme (which is on the left hand pane at the top)
6.) find Interner Explorer 8 and click on it
7.) click uninstall (which is in a toolbar about a 6th of the way down the page)
8.) wait for the programme to uninstall, and then, if it doesn't automatically, restart your compurer/laptop

Hope this helped :)

Answer
+3
moins plus
Ok, hmm.. it helped for a bit, but it is STILL doing it. Not loading properly.

Answer
+2
moins plus
jeff u rili 'r' a genius...it worked....thank u so musc

Answer
+2
moins plus
stupid stupid stupid nothing works i mean it was working fine a few days ago now internet explorer 8 closes it and tells me to end now you think its a virus? it works fine on firefox though

Answer
+2
moins plus
I had the same issue and it was a malware.. I suggest everyone has this problem to scan the pc with Anti Malware of malwarebytes.org, it was the only one which found mine!

dynasty- Jan 19, 2010 06:48AM
yes i play alot of zynga poker n everytime i try to login to facebook it redirects me to another site that looks lik facebook but different url n my pc tells me it is a phishing site
plz help :(
blackcat- Jan 28, 2010 03:33AM
I use firefox as my primary but when i had the problem, i just used explorer (my secondary) and facebook is working perfect for me.
blackcat- Jan 28, 2010 03:37AM
by the way, you can still run everything else with your usual. I just use explorer for facebook and it's perfect......no having to add "s". hope it helps others.
eddie dynasty - Feb 15, 2010 05:33PM
yeah me too. it goes to a phishing site and none of the suggestions worked...please help!
fourtodafloor- Mar 17, 2010 02:27AM
try this..
first get any facebook page, in whatever state its in, up in front of you
right click>view page info>pop up opens>choose the security tab>then cookies>select each one and delete them>close>then saved passwords button>delete all>close..try that worked for me, got sick of adding the 's' all the time
1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « Facebook Home page won't load » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.