Launching Internet After DNS Probe [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question cinwri12 1Posts Saturday March 21, 2015Registration date March 21, 2015 Last seen - Last answered on Mar 14, 2016 at 06:13 AM by Rahul
Hello,

I have a dell laptop with Windows xp. I am getting dns probe finished no internet message. This was on chrome browser. I used the computer earlier with no problems. I have looked here on this website and tried just about everything to no avail. I uninstalled both chrome and Firefox. Can you please help. This is driving me crazy. Thanks.

See more 
Helpful
+91
plus moins
go to START and Run and type in the following commands:
cmd (enter)

c:\netsh winsock reset (enter)

remember restart your computer
Was this answer helpful?  
tesla- Sep 28, 2015 at 10:58 AM
Because it's netsh, not netsch
Mesty Misty - Jan 7, 2016 at 09:27 AM
Misty it is "netsh winsock reset" . Don't include double inverted commas. Run cmd as admin
FewBIGFOOT- Oct 5, 2015 at 07:13 PM
Yeah this worked for me it help me thank you so much :)
Ninjroid- Oct 21, 2015 at 06:15 AM
Was anyone else running itunes when they got this problem?
kaitovira 4Posts Tuesday December 22, 2015Registration date December 22, 2015 Last seen - Dec 22, 2015 at 08:46 PM
Hey, I also running itunes, then my game can't reach to the internet (it tells that gone maintenance/patch download unavailable) owo
Meanwhile my browser still working, after restarting my computer then that problem occurs on chrome n other browsers :(
Helpful
+34
plus moins
Your answer is incomplete. You have to assume the person does not know how to become "the Administrator".

IN DOS, I TYPED AT C PROMPT "netsh winsock reset".
It says this action requires elevation (run as administrator) but it does not tell you how to become the "administrator".

Went to Desktop
Right-clicked on chrome icon
Left Clicked "Run as administrator"
Went back into DOS
Typed above at C prompt
It STILL says : "this operation requires elevation (run as administrator)" but it does not tell you how to become the administrator

(Right-clicking the Icon used to work in Internet Explorer, now not working in chrome)
At first, when I clicked the Start Button, I saw no DOS Icon. Now, after pressing the Windows key (in between CTRL and ALT) AND "R" AT SAME TIME, NOW I SEE THE DOS ICON IN START MENU.

RIGHT-CLICKED ON DOS ICON IN START MENU.
LEFT CLICKED "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" NOW I AM "THE ADMINISTRATOR"!!!!
Apparently, even in 2015, Windows 7 still runs inside a "DosShell".

NOW, A NEW DOS "DIALOGUE BOX" POPS UP, BUT THE "C" PROMPT HAS BEEN CHANGED TO
C:\Windows\System32>
(My Dell Laptop is 32 bits)
At this new prompt, I typed "netsh winsock reset"
And pressed Enter.

Now, in DOS, it says that I "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog"! (whatever THAT IS!!) YAAAAAAY!
AND "you must restart [or reboot] the Computer to complete the reset".
TOOK ABOUT 15 MIN. TO FIX

So maybe my "winsock", whatever it is, was corrupted by a virus and needed to be reset inside DOS, even though I just got Kaspersky AntiVirus Dec. 25, 2014 (2 yr. subscription)
I hope this is helpful.
57LesPaulLover 2Posts Friday June 19, 2015Registration date June 19, 2015 Last seen - Jun 19, 2015 at 07:24 AM
Thanks for letting people know how to log-on as the System Administrator at the Command Prompt. Could even go deeper for newbies. Start, Programs, Windows System, Command Prompt. (that is for Win 8.1). Similar for 7 but since I don't run 7 anymore I don't know the exact progression. Unless you have the Command Prompt set-up in your Start menu, you're going to have to open a few things to find it.
Prashant- Jul 1, 2015 at 10:20 PM
normally when you are connecting with a wi-fi or a dongle wi-fi this problem come,s number 1. if you used your dongle in deffrent area like if always using the dongle on area A. and for some tie you used it area B. and when you back again Area A. then may be you see this problem. so just take your dongle and connect it to direct in your PC/Laptop problem will be solved automatically. and if you are using router connect it with your computer direct with cable .may be problem will be solve . if not restart your PC in connected position with cable .
Roadblockran- Jul 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM
hello all

comments are great cut still does not.let me get to run administrator ..tried right and left mouse click with no luck. I did try typing netsh directly in prompy but ...requires elevation run as administrator.. I am running windows 7 home premium.. pls help. dont know if malware bytes program caused the conflict??
Snail- Jul 27, 2015 at 12:43 PM
Yes this worked great
JasmineSow 2Posts Sunday November 8, 2015Registration date November 8, 2015 Last seen - Nov 8, 2015 at 02:54 PM
I did all the possible solns on internet.. Bt I cant make it... Still I get "dns might be unavailable" or "windws cant communicate with dns" any more solns????
Helpful
+10
plus moins
I spent all last night and today trying EVERYTHING possible. Just fixed it by going to start type in cmd right click to run as administrator then type in netsh winsock reset then restart your computer. Hope someone reads this and it helps them, nothing anyone else said did.
Aali- Jul 3, 2015 at 03:08 PM
Thanks Robert,
Really I was rolling my brain,but ur trick worked
Robi- Jul 9, 2015 at 10:23 AM
Thank you!! I have been trying all morning and you answer finally helped me
Snail- Jul 27, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Yes it did great
rcasparepartmotor 1Posts Monday September 7, 2015Registration date September 7, 2015 Last seen - Sep 7, 2015 at 03:47 PM
if you used your dongle in deffrent area like if always using the dongle on area A. and for some tie you used it area B. and when you back again Area A. then may be you see this problem. so just take your dongle and connect it to direct in your PC/Laptop problem will be solved automatically. and if you are using router connect it with your computer direct with cable .may be problem will be solve . if not restart your PC in connected position with cable .
Helpful
+3
plus moins
thanks so much for this.....crazy how these computers can have such huge problems with easy fixes
Aamir- Jul 15, 2015 at 06:57 PM
Wow man thanks alot mate
Helpful
+2
plus moins
i'm using windows 10. to run administrator for cmd

press windows button + X
click command prompt ( admin )
type netsh winsock reset
then restart pc and done :)
Valentin- Nov 14, 2015 at 06:29 PM
For people having the command trouble,just type netsh and then tye winsock reset and restart the pc
Helpful
+1
plus moins
Can someone please explain - I have a Lenovo and have the same problem. It's driving me crazy. I've tried suggestions but when I type cmd in the 'run' box nothing happens.

Ps. I'm a woman - please go easy
Ambucias 42774Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus July 24, 2017 Last seen - Jul 21, 2015 at 04:05 PM
Hi, did you press the enter key?
Lindseyevans 1Posts Tuesday July 21, 2015Registration date July 22, 2015 Last seen - Jul 22, 2015 at 03:22 PM
Yes and it just repeated the administrator name. How many times should I press it?
Ambucias 42774Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus July 24, 2017 Last seen - Jul 22, 2015 at 04:16 PM
You must log in as administrator after your system started.
NiNA- Aug 1, 2015 at 07:32 AM
Omg I love you...Seriously...I tired EVERYTHING...lost 3 weeks without Internet...finally found sth that works..thank you thank you thank you!
Toddy- Aug 12, 2015 at 07:20 AM
Worked great. Thanks so much.
Helpful
+0
plus moins
U guys rock!!!! Thanks a million for this huge help! All I had to do is Start, type CMD and right clicked until the Run Command showed up and then typed nets winsock reset, once that's typed go to start, and restart computer.....Wolla !!!!
Mikey- Sep 20, 2015 at 07:01 AM
Thanks buddy!!!

You have really saved a big day for me...
Ambucias 42774Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus July 24, 2017 Last seen - Sep 20, 2015 at 07:03 AM
My pleasure to be your saviour.
Helpful
+0
plus moins
For two days, I have been frustrated by this problem...especially the admin part once I found solutions. Thanks Robert!
suraj- Nov 24, 2015 at 01:32 AM
thanx worked.
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Try Uninstall wireless connection and install again, its worked for me. Solved!
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Now its very easy, We can solve this<a href="http://www.dnsprobefinished.com/dns-probe-finished-no-internet/" rel="dofollow"> Problem </a>
by Changing ip address,

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?