Word 2010 Document Recovery

Solved/Closed
PaulConl Posts 1 Registration date Saturday April 4, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 4, 2015 - Apr 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM
RichardBank Posts 1 Registration date Monday April 6, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2015 - Apr 6, 2015 at 07:43 AM
We have Word 2010 and I'm quite familiar with various ways of recovering documents.

I can recover documents in the following scenarios:
The user creates a new document, but declines to save when closing it (found under
C:\Users\XXX\DOCUMENTS\DRAFTS\)
The user works on an existing document, but declines to save when closing it (found under
C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles\)
This is the Save AutoRecover information every 5 minutes setting in Word (found under H:\Myfiles\Backup)
I also know about the copies saved under C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\.

My issue is this. If the user works on one or more existing documents, but the document doesn't have the focus for awhile, for example they're browsing the internet or in Outlook or something, then they decline to save when closing Word, it appears there are no backups anywhere. I've tested this several different ways and if Word or the document doesn't have the focus and Word is closed without saving, I cannot locate any type of backup.

I feel this leaves us vulnerable. Can anyone deny or confirm this is really happening and also, does anyone have a solution for this
Related:

1 response

RichardBank Posts 1 Registration date Monday April 6, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2015 2
Apr 6, 2015 at 07:43 AM
What can you do .....
=} You could reduce the autorecovery time down to 1 or 2 minutes
=} In control panel > mouse Set the mouse to automatically jump to the default buttons on dialogues.
=} Simply remind users to always save when closing.