Desktop Shortcuts on Windows 8.1

Solved/Closed
noknojon Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday April 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2015 - Apr 14, 2015 at 11:21 PM
noknojon Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday April 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2015 - Apr 17, 2015 at 04:32 AM
Hello,
After using Win98, XP, Win7, I now Battle with my 8.1 with "classic shell format" The main problem is as asked in the title.
Some EXE. programs will "send shortcut / download to desktop" but many others will only send to Bookmarks (or similar).
I believe that they need an exe. to qualify, but I help at several minor forums that I just want to access from the desktop, and not go to bookmarks / favourites each time I look for, or skip to an area.

Is there a more simple method rather than what I have read about, very complicated and almost a Registry edit each time. I had previously (Win 7) been able to Right click on the forum title, and send that to desktop as a program, but not now.
Sorry for the long post, and a Moderator is welcome to move if I have it wrong.

Regards -

Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Apr 15, 2015 at 06:46 PM
There is no more DESKTOP as a workspace in 8+. They are all shorcuts. Yes you can save shortcuts to URLs on the desktop, or start screen as an APP.
noknojon Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday April 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2015
Apr 16, 2015 at 01:07 AM
Please Note -
I stated that I only use "Classic Shell format", and not the Metro format "Ever".
My computer starts and 98% runs as if it were my Windows 7.1, I only use things like Search from the Right side menu, and the Desktop is where all work is done. You seem to think that all people start and run from the Metro setup, but I never use it and generally will not.
I have about 30+ shortcuts on my desktop, and go there to do all of my work. There is currently a shortcut to MBAM forum there, and it works 100%. My problem is that M/soft has decided to make it harder to use the Desktop.

Thank You for the reply ac3mark, but it is not a solution.
Blocked Profile
Apr 16, 2015 at 05:30 PM
I agree, I did not provide you with a solution as such, but an explanation.
noknojon Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday April 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2015 > Blocked Profile
Apr 16, 2015 at 05:44 PM
Thank You ac3mark for the reply again.
I just wanted to make sure that you understood my situation (as I had put it).
There are M/soft ideas on this, but they were over the top for now, and I was just looking for any other simplified version on the problem I believe many of us face in the change from Win7 to this system.
This was not directed to you in any way, maybe more to M/soft for delivering such a stupid operating system.

Sorry, and again Thanks for your offer of help.
Blocked Profile
Apr 16, 2015 at 06:54 PM
You must remember, the OS was designed for touch, so some of the features and functions would be almost intuitive if used on a touch device.

There really isn't thing different with 8, except the enter key actually ENTERS when typing in a modal, and you no longer have to press OK with a mouse. Oh, the WINDOWS key shortcuts are great, once you learn them. I encourage you to use the OS for what it is, and not try to strip it down to what was.

As for indexing of files and internet, once again, typing right off the Windows key (as it is assumed your hands are on the keyboard and not the SCREEN-NO MOUSE REMEMBER, touch environment) starts both a local search, and internet if you are connected!

Try it for what it is. once again, try not to make it what it was. Wait until 10, and you can have multiple desktops, yea, real multiple desktops!
noknojon Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday April 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen April 17, 2015 > Blocked Profile
Apr 17, 2015 at 04:32 AM
Hello -
I do understand what you are saying, but that is not what I want this computer for, and why was I able to put the "MBAM forum" shortcut on my desktop ??
I actually went to several shops and asked if I could purchase a Win 7 OS first (but they all said no at the time).
I do not have or use a touch screen, and understand why I now use the Favorites or Bookmarks area to access common sites, and that is what I want. It sounds like I will be VERY upset with all products and Systems that M/soft releases in the future. They do not understand that so many former XP and Win7 users do not want these changes.

Again thanks for your replies.
Mark this as finished here, and I must follow other trails to get what I want.....