Access denied, files missing?

Closed
SLacey - May 29, 2015 at 05:32 AM
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 - Jun 1, 2015 at 12:27 AM
Hello,

I've been all over the internet looking for a solution to this, and none of them have worked so far.

I have a laptop hard drive in a USB enclosure; I'm running Windows 8 with Classic Shell on my current machine, I had 7 on the old laptop. I have no access to anything on it, and my computer doesn't seem to be able to actually detect anything there at all.

I have tried to change the owner of the folders/device and establish full control permissions on every user account I have, but I only get a ridiculous number of error messages: "An error occurred while applying security information to", and either "The system cannot find the file specified" or "Access is denied" or "Failed to enumerate objects in the container". I've followed several guides on this and the error appears as soon as I attempt to make any kind of changes; obviously, none of them have actually been successful.

The folders themselves appear to be empty, despite most of the space on the drive being used. There were no hidden files or folders.

I tried to use "attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*" but the results were similar: "Access denied", "system cannot find the file specified", "unable to change attribute".

I have no idea what I'm even doing anymore.

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
May 29, 2015 at 05:37 AM
Hello,

Try this:
# Download USB Fix
  • It will launch automatically, and a shortcut will be created on your desktop.

• Choose "Clean" option.
  • A pop-up will follow :
    Connect all your external data sources to your PC (Usb keys, external drives, etc...)
  • Once you're ready, click "OK".
  • While cleaning, you will loose access to your desktop, but this is normal.

The numbers of analysed and infected elements are displayed.

# Copy/paste the report here.

Tutorial : http://www.en.usbfix.net/2014/02/usbfix-tutorial-clean-option/
I only just got the HD enclosure today, it was brand new and this is the first time I've used it.
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
May 29, 2015 at 06:38 AM
whether it is detected in Disk management?
what it showed there?
It's there in disk management, the device apparently works just fine, but when i try to get into any of the folders on it, that's when the errors start.
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
May 29, 2015 at 07:44 AM
Hello run chkdsk command
command prompt-->right click->run as admin-->chkdsk L:
L-->your hard disk which have problem
SLacey > Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016
May 30, 2015 at 07:40 PM
It says chkdsk is not available for RAW drives :\
Jun 1, 2015 at 12:27 AM
It shows that the HDD become RAW or not formatted as NTFS...
If it have data on it? then you go for third party software.. like
http://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-file-system-to-ntfs.htm
If it have no data simply right click on the hard disk select format and then select option NTFS.

Note: sometime the damaged hard disk shows like RAW but you said it is new so i think it not get damaged. if still problem persist RMA the drive.