WD 500 gb external hard disk in not detecting in my computer.

Closed
harsh09 Posts 2 Registration date Friday May 29, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 29, 2015 - May 29, 2015 at 07:16 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jul 18, 2016 at 02:51 AM
Hello frnds plz help me its urgent...
My WD 500 gb external hard disk in not detecting in my computer.
And in disk management status is unallocated andnOt initialized...plz help me guys how can I recover my data from it...all my important data in it.
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
May 29, 2015 at 08:27 AM
What is on the hard disk?

was it formatted with Windows XP?
harsh09 Posts 2 Registration date Friday May 29, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 29, 2015
May 29, 2015 at 10:40 AM
All of my notes, research paper, many other essential docs and all of my pics in it...n i had never formatted it...i used it before two months n that time it was working properly.
Blocked Profile > harsh09 Posts 2 Registration date Friday May 29, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 29, 2015
May 29, 2015 at 10:45 AM
What OS did you use it last on?
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jun 1, 2015 at 03:05 AM
Hi Harsh09,

I strongly recommend you to check the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. Enter Device Manager and uninstall the drive. Restart the PC and plug the device back in. If the issue persists, open the Command Prompt and type the following commands:

Diskpart
List disks
Select disk n ( where n is the number of the disk)
Assign Letter =L ( where L is any letter you like and is not in use)

Press enter after every command.

Hope this helps
manually assign a drive letter, bring up Disk Management and right click on the capacity of the drive. Choose Change Drive Letter and Path from the menu.
Choose a drive letter that does not already appear in My Computer.

Click OK to assign the drive letter and close the window.

Once assigned, the drive should appear in My Computer with the letter you have selected.

If the drive is listed as Unknown or Unallocated in Disk Management, the drive is not properly formatted for use with this computer. If the drive was used with a Mac or another non-windows device it may be using an incompatible format.
Note: Please backup any data on the drive with easeus todo backup before proceeding?

If the drive shows Unknown, right click on the word Unknown and choose Initialize. Follow the wizard, accepting the defaults. The drive should now be labeled Unallocated.

If the drive shows as Unallocated, right click on the word Unallocated and choose New Partition or New Simple Volume . Follow the wizard, accepting the default settings. Clicking finish will begin the format process. The format will generally take 10-15min, but can vary depending on drive size.

Then you can recover your file with EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
Please I have a similar problem with my WD 500GB HDD. When connected to my windows 7 computer, it says device driver could not be installed, and after that the device fails to show up in computer. Pls I need help.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Jstrong.
Jul 18, 2016 at 02:51 AM
Hi Jstrong,

I am sorry for any inconveniency cause by yout WD drive. Please check the device on another PC and with another USB cable. If the situation is the same, connect the drive back to your PC and open Device Manager, uninstall the USB Hubs and restart the PC. Connect the drive again. Does the driver installation begin? Is the drive under warranty? If it is, contact the seller and ask for some suggestions. If the drive is not working on any PC and is under warranty, you should get a drive replacement. Do you havei important data stored on the drive?

Hope this helps