External monitor to broken laptop screen

Solved
Joey - Updated on Aug 22, 2017 at 05:44 AM
ccontino Posts 1 Registration date Sunday August 25, 2019 Status Member Last seen August 25, 2019 - Aug 25, 2019 at 06:01 PM
Hello,
I am having a problem. My laptop LCD screen broke and I don't have the money to replace it, but what I do have is a extra Monitor. I want to hook my laptop up to this monitor but I can't see what I am doing with the screen broken. I wanted to know if there was any buttons I could press to make it show up on the external monitor. I have a HP Pavilion dv9000. Please Help.
Related:

13 responses

When you hook up a laptop to an external monitor you have to press a few buttons in order to change the output from the internal monitor screen to an external monitor.

To do this :
  • start up your laptop, and press and hold the function key which is the letters "fn" inside a box.
  • Press and hold this with the corresponding F# key that has the monitor symbol, which may look like this " lOl " or some variation of that.

This happened to my brother's old laptop, he broke the screen and I just hooked it up to an external monitor and it worked fine. It may not kick on right away with mine, what mine does is it starts up on the external screen then dispears when you log onto the computer, so what I do is I log on, I just type my password because once the log on screen kicks on it automatically puts the cursor in the password box, so I put in my password and I press the function key; "fn" and I press and hold it with F4 which is my external monitor key, then after a few seconds my external monitor kicks back on. Hope this helps!!
How do you get the external monitor to show your content before the login screen? I need to edit some things before it gets that far.
it worked ;)