Wifi adapter keeps dropping to limited connection

Closed
Mark - Jun 9, 2015 at 02:39 PM
 Blocked Profile - Sep 24, 2015 at 05:00 PM
Hi guys,

As I noticed ... this issue have half of all Windows 7,8 and 8.1 users ! No matter what brand their laptop is. And it is really annoying problem. All the more I've tried everything what I found on web that seemed like a solution.
Same story .... laptop works just fine but randomly wifi drops to "limited connection" and all I can do is reset adapter with troubleshooter. However it is just a temporary fix. In half an hour or so it will do again.
I tried all suggested fixes like uncheck the box in power management of wifi adapter, make sure both boxes are set up to maximum performance in advanced power management, uninstall driver and restart laptop, tricks with Command Prompt. Nothing worked which is sad 'coz lot of people fixed this with first tip.
Guys if you have some thoughts that might help here's my email:
***@***

I'm able to send you a cheque if it works. Cheers ! Mark out !

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Jun 9, 2015 at 04:40 PM
What kind of wireless router do you have, and are you using b/g/or n. If you are using N only, it may be that the client connects on the G band( giving you connectivity) but never responds back to the router on the N band (like the router is thinking it should) and drops. The N protocol uses the G for send and N to receive or vice versa. The point is, your client hardware may or may not be N band compatible. The same thing happens on a PS3 and an 'N' Router. The PS3 is not compatible with N but will connect briefly!

Also on some version of older 7, the firewall needs to be set to allow network traffic. Set a network location on both OS if have not done so, your firewall is blocking!

I have said it once, I will say it again. IT!
Hey ac3mark !

thanks for respond. Yeah ... sadly I have the N-type (at least I think I have). As for firewall I use third party firewall by AVG and it's set to "automatic" mode which is a recommended one.
My adapter is Broadcom 802.11n and as I've seen some vids on Youtube quite a lot of people have it too in laptops and they fixed it by unchecking the damn box.
Network location I have set to "private" and that is okay I think.
You also asked what router I have and it is BT Wireless Hub 5. Hope it answered your question.

Feel free throw a line mate !
Blocked Profile > Mark
Jun 10, 2015 at 05:09 PM
Well try to back the router to G band and see what happens.
anand7um Posts 1 Registration date Thursday September 24, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 24, 2015
Sep 24, 2015 at 11:39 AM
I have exactly the same problem. Worst thing is that my connection has been working on the existing settings for the last 2.5 years all good with the same ISP, and all of a sudden few months ago this problem started to occur.

The symptoms are exactly the same as explained by Mark. I have extensively studied this issue on the internet and pored on this subject matter and in doing so picked up quite a bit on networking fundamentals as well, gee!!

I suspected that the problems were to do with the builtin Wireless router of my modem, so I even tried putting my modem in bridge mode and then using a friends' reliable router to spread the wifi thru my home, but unfortunately, even this method resulted in the same issues - full signal with intermittent "Limited connectivity".

I have seen a certain degree of correlation between my iPhone and this issue. Many a times, turning off the WiFi on the iPhone fixes the problem like magic, yet at other occassions nothing seems to solve the issue.

Please help, I know that net is full of experts, if only someone could provide a magic potion for this problem.

And yes, my ISP is DODO.

Regards
Bharat
Blocked Profile
Sep 24, 2015 at 05:00 PM
Has everyone set a network location? Set it to Home, and see if it changes your indications.