IF formula for a range almost works, except with blank cells

Solved/Closed
eddiecruz Posts 2 Registration date Thursday June 18, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2015 - Jun 18, 2015 at 08:55 AM
eddiecruz Posts 2 Registration date Thursday June 18, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2015 - Jun 19, 2015 at 07:56 AM
Apologies if the title is too vague. I will if necessary rewrite it to comply with forum rules.

I have posted this same question here: https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/if-formula-for-a-range-almost-works-except-with-blank-cells-win7-excel-2010.862406/#post4188823

I'm using Win7 Excel 2010. The following formula (in cell H2) works to returns today's date when the cells in the range contain text, and returns nothing when there is a mix of text and numbers:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(C2:G2)*1)>0,"",TODAY())

In the cells in that range, I enter [same], [none], [removed], [new record], or the date information was updated. If all 5 cells contain text, H2 should show the date the data was entered; if one of them contains a date, this is not necessary. My goal is this: H2 should be blank if the range contains text or any blank cells; otherwise, it should return today's date.

The problem is this: The formula also returns today's date if there are one or more blank cells in the range. So, how to ignore blank cells?

Probably a simple thing, and I've found several examples for A blank cell but not for blank cellS. I much appreciate your help and patience. My questions, I promise, will become less ignorant with time and medication. Thanks very much.

3 responses

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Jun 18, 2015 at 04:38 PM
Hi eddiecruz,

Im certainly not an excel expert, but if I were doing this I would try a nested "IF" statement - something like this ...

=IF(C2<>0,IF(D2<>0,IF(E2<>0,IF(F2<>0,IF(G2<>0,IF(SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(C2:G2)*1)>0,"",TODAY()))))),"")

I'm sure there is a better way, but it worked on my machine.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Jun 18, 2015 at 04:55 PM
Eddiecruz says that he found a solution on the other forum ... and didnt bother to post the solution here. HOW RUDE!

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(ISNONTEXT(C2:G2)*1)>0,"",TODAY())

... much better than mine :^)

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues :o)
eddiecruz Posts 2 Registration date Thursday June 18, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2015
Jun 19, 2015 at 07:56 AM
All apologies. No offense intended. I needed to rush out of the office and did not want folks crunching code on my behalf unnecessarily. I'll do better next time.

My solution is hardly my own. I cobbled it together from pieces I found all over the place. It seems to work, but if I can get a solid understanding of WHY it works, I'll be a bit further on my way to having been taught to fish and feeding myself for a lifetime.

Your suggestion actually helps quite a lot. I tried nested IF statements but could not get them to work. I see now that at least part of the problem was that I thought each IF had to be enclosed in parentheses in situ rather than all at the end. So thanks very much, BrianGreen!