Mass Storage Device Driver problems

Closed
Anonymous User - Mar 28, 2009 at 03:03 AM
 Anonymous User - Apr 7, 2009 at 02:24 PM
Hello,
I have a removable harddrive that isnt reading properly anymore. It comes up in the USB section of the Device Managers but not on my computer. Ive removed and uninstalled it but when I restart my laptop it automatically reloads the driver (even wen its not plugged into the usb port). I believe the only solution is to somehow remove the driver so that the computer has no memory of the harddrive ever being on the laptop and starting fresh. I found the driver in Syste32 (USBSTOR.SYS) but cant remove it to due to "permission issues"...when im the only person who uses this laptop... am I way off or what can I do to start this device fresh so it will work! thanks!
Related:

1 response

Highway72 Posts 233 Registration date Thursday April 2, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 16, 2009 11
Apr 3, 2009 at 06:02 PM
It's possible the driver corrupted as you suggest, try boot up to SAFE MODE as that usually lets you tinker with system drivers with nagging. make sure you backup the driver just in case.
Anonymous User
Apr 7, 2009 at 02:24 PM
My problem seems to have gotten worse. Now my ipod doesnt sync..it will charge on the laptop but doesnt recognize it in itunes. is there a way to format the usbs on the laptop?