DNS Probe finished bad config message on laptop with windows 8.1

Closed
EDZEL1 Posts 2 Registration date Friday June 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2015 - Jun 19, 2015 at 05:47 PM
EDZEL1 Posts 2 Registration date Friday June 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2015 - Jun 19, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Hello and help! I have a Packard bell laptop (not the one I'm using now) running windows 8.1.... we have poor wi-fi in the living room so bought a Netgear wifi adapter thinking it would help (we are with virgin media). it didn't, and now my laptop cannot connect to the internet at all, whether by wireless or by Ethernet cable. all I get when I go onto google chrome is the message shown above. i've tried comparing settings on the other with this laptop, but even though it looks the same, no joy.

tried to find the answer online, found a suggestion of going to 'start' and 'run' ... but even though i've looked up 'where is start and run' on windows 8.1, I can't work out where it is...

the one thing I did find out from a youtube video about how to fix this problem, is that the laptop with the problem doesn't appear to have a LAN connection in the Networks s listed - just bluetooth, two wireless adapters (one is the netgear one I suspect and the other is another ethernet adapter we had been using, where we plug it in downstairs and use a cable) and our virgin media connection.

sorry if I have waffled on and given way too much info - I guess I just want someone to tell me how to restore internet access to my laptop! Thanks in advance, fingers crossed....
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Jun 19, 2015 at 06:27 PM
Hello

In win8 to get to run, bottom corner of your task bar, on the white Windows logo, click right, you will see "Run", lead your rodent to it and click left on "run"

Hope this helps
EDZEL1 Posts 2 Registration date Friday June 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2015
Jun 19, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Thanks Ambucias - have tried that now, and the 'winsock reset' command - still no joy. :-( now I'm stumped!