Help! External hard drive not functioning

Closed
ZmiomX - Jun 25, 2015 at 12:52 AM
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 - Jun 25, 2015 at 02:08 AM
Hello,
I have problem with my 1tb Seagate ehd. When I connect it, the volume doesn't shows up in my computer and after a few seconds. It will disconnect itself. There is no error pop-up whatsoever. At first I thought the problem is with my computer but the same think happen when I connect it to another computer. I tried using another usb but nothing change. What is wrong with my ehd? Can I fixed it? Thank you.

Related:

1 response

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Jun 25, 2015 at 01:26 AM
It is laptop or pc?(both your pc and another pc you checking of)
What is the make and model of your PC ?
What is the make and model and capacity of the external hard drive ?

Does this hard drive have a socket for an external power supply ?
I use laptops. My laptop is Acer Aspire V5 and I'm using Win8.1. My ehd is Seagate model SRD00F1, 1TB capacity. And no, it doesn't have a socket for external power supply.
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892 > ZmiomX
Jun 25, 2015 at 02:08 AM
Your NB is incapable of supplying the required power to keep this drive running. After few days the drive could have had it's Partition Table corrupted with the constant Drop Outs so it's no longer appearing in the My Computer Section of Windows.

You need a USB 3.0 Type A to SS Micro B USB power cable 3.0 ,have a socket for the External Power you only have one option you need a Powered USB Hub to go between the NB and Drive

The drive may have worked previously till with the constant power downs the Partitions Tables where corrupted. This is a certain Sign of insufficient Power being available to drive the External Drive. When you get a Powered USB Hub you'll need to go to the Drive Manager and Format the Drive so it again appears in the Windows Explorer or My Computer whichever you prefer to use.