New HDD & OS, New DVD Drive Not Reading Disks

Closed
strangeaslife Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday July 8, 2015 Status Member Last seen July 8, 2015 - Jul 8, 2015 at 05:43 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jul 9, 2015 at 03:07 AM
Hi,

My problem is that the DVD/RW Drive on my HP dv6700 is not reading discs. To catch everyone up, I decided to make some upgrades to the laptop rather than buying a whole new computer, and the problem with the drive not reading disks has stopped me in my tracks.

A few months ago I learned that I needed to replace the HDD - the computer wouldn't start up no matter what - it was dead. So after I decided I didn't want to buy a whole new computer, I bought a new HDD and bought Windows 7 (upgrade from Windows Vista that it had before). The other problem was that for a long time before the hard drive went out, I always had problems getting disks to read on the DVD drive. I tried cleaning it etc. but nothing worked, so I bought a new (used) one of those too.

I replaced the HDD and DVD drive, then when I put in my new disk for Windows 7, the replacement DVD drive is not reading the disc for the OS - the computer keeps telling me "Operating System Cannot be Found".

I'm posting here because most fixes I'm finding online approach the issue through the OS, which I obviously don't have on my computer. Is it possible that my new (used) DVD drive is already broken and I just need to buy another one? Hoping it would be an easy fix, I already tried cleaning it (carefully so as to not damage the laser) and moving the transport mechanism as another post suggested on this website. I also went into the BIOS and made the DVD drive #1 in the boot process. None of this has worked so far.

I'm stumped and would be grateful for some help in finding a solution!
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jul 9, 2015 at 03:07 AM
Hi Strangeaslife,

Sadly, it is possible that this DVD is not working. Are you sure that the Windows installation DVD is functioning normally? Can you check it on another PC? If the DVD or the files are damaged, you will not be able to boot even with working DVD. If you have the option, try doing a bootable flash drive and install the OS from the USB. Check the DVD ROM functionality after the OS installation.

Hope this helps