Exchange 2007 Restore Mailbox Data Deleting

Closed
joshuareeves Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 12, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 16, 2015 - Aug 14, 2015 at 04:40 AM
joshuareeves Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 12, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 16, 2015 - Aug 16, 2015 at 05:51 AM
Hello,

Summary: Trying to restore an old Exchange 2007 Mailbox, the restore seems to work as I see data in Outlook however as soon as the restore is complete the data gets deleted.
Details: We have Exchange 2010 with all users moved over. One user was missing some very old mail from our Exchange 2007 server. I powered on the Exchange 2007 server, recreated the DB the users mail was in as it was no longer there and created a Restore User in a different existing DB on it. Via Arcserve I restored the DB into a Recovery Group, mounted it and selected the user's mailbox to restore to the Restore user /restore folder. The restore starts OK and runs for 6+ hours (huge mailbox). I can open Outlook of the Restore user and view the mail in the /Restore folder and was able to copy some to a .PST archive. When the restore completes, the data starts deleting itself and within a few seconds GBs worth or recovered data is gone. I've tried two different tapes from different times with the same results.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Aug 16, 2015 at 05:45 AM
I would guess that somewhere there is a POP account somewhere connecting to the mailbox - as the POP account downloads the mail it is deleted from the mailbox.
This is how POP works.
Why not disable POP and then it will not be able to download?
Or
So turn off the Exchange cache in Outlook before you start - looks like Outlook has registered an empty mailbox, more recently than the restored stuff!
joshuareeves Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 12, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 16, 2015
Aug 16, 2015 at 05:51 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. Your link was very useful for me. Thank you!