Microsoft Edge isn't working (possible virus)

Closed
WorldWideInside - Aug 20, 2015 at 04:32 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 20, 2015 at 06:02 PM
Help! I accidentally clicked on a button/link in Microsoft Edge and it opened a new tab which is uncloseable and it keeps having a pop up that tells me to call this number to fix my computer. On the website there is a disclaimer that it is an advertisement but I'm seriously worried that I have spyware or something else on my computer. I somehow closed Microsoft Edge by clicking on another tab while the popup was gone and now I am running a scan. How do I get my browser back? I've tried restarting it but when I clicked on Microsft Edge again it was still in that tab and the popup kept coming up. Please help me fix this, thank you!

Info:
I used Microsoft Edge
I have Windows 10
The virus protection scan that I'm using right now is McAfee
When I clicked on the button it opened up a new tab that had audio replaying over and over telling me to call a number to fix my computer
A popup kept appearing while the tab was open telling me to not restart or shutdown my computer because info might be lost and to also call the phone number in case there was spyware on my computer
The tab was uncloseable, however the other tabs closed
The only way to close the whole browser was to click on another tab while the popup was gone
The popup appeared again about 5 seconds after closing it

Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Aug 20, 2015 at 06:02 PM
Hello

You can use another browser like Firefox or try it on Edge.

Download and run this:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/6911-adwcleaner/

It should get rid of the pop-up.

Let me know

Ambucias
Virus/Security Contributor