Black Screen After Powered off During Check Disk

Closed
Flying414 - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:44 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 1, 2015 at 02:26 AM
Hello,

I installed the free avg pc tuneup last night and after running it suggested I do a disk check. I did that not realizing what it was and after 45 min it was late and I needed to head to bed. I looked at the screen and it seemed frozen so I powered off my computer by pressing the power button. Not realizing there were repercussions to this...

Now I have the black screen after the initial logo.

I can't go into safe mode. the last file to come up is the avgidsha.sys

I can't do a system restore it says that there are no restore points

I tried to do the last known good configuration but that does not work.

I opened command prompt and ran chkdsk c: /f and with /r and those did not work. They said I had zero problems but then I would get this message "failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50"

Startup Repair says it could not detect a problem

I don't have the installation disk.

I tried running scf scannow in command prompt and it would not run

what can I do?

Toshiba Satellite A505-S6980
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 1, 2015 at 02:26 AM
Hi Flying414,

Stopping a hard drive scan can really cause some issues. You have done some pretty good job trying to solve it, but unfortunately, it may be necessary to reinstall Windows. Turning off the PC while the HDD check was going on may have caused file corruption. This may be solved with a fresh installation, but if it is not, you should remove the drive from the laptop and connect it to another PC, as a secondary drive. Try accessing the drive and use drive manufacturer's diagnostic tool to check it for errors. I would try booting from a Linux Live CD in order to see if the drive is fully accessible.

Hope this helps