Ask a question Report

REMOVING " FALSE " VALUE IN "IF&quo [Solved/Closed]

JIN - Latest answer on Jul 18, 2013 12:01PM
Hello,
I would like to know how to remove the "False" Value when if function is nested.
Here is an Example
=IF(C11="Evening",200,IF(C11="Gazetted",1000,IF(C11="Night",200)))
Now When i select the value link to this Function i get the desired result as i wanted , but now i dont want the
False Value to be shown d if the given criteria in the cell is not Met
I tried this also
=IFERROR(IF(C9="Evening",200,IF(C9="Gazetted",1000,IF(C9="Night",200))),"")
But still i am getting the same False Value in default
Expert advice is much appreciated on this
Thank you
Waiting
Read more 
Answer
+12
moins plus
Okay, well excep that u have to have semicolons(;) instead of commas (,) in the function it worked pretty fine for me with some corrections. Like this...

this is what u have
=IF(C11="Evening",200,IF(C11="Gazetted",1000,IF(C11="Night",200)))

where it should be
=IF(C11="Evening";200;IF(C11="Gazetted";1000;IF(C11="Night";200;)))

notice the semicolon on the end, if voided u will have an error because u dont have false state
this function will result with a ZERO (0) if false
you can also do this
=IF(C11="Evening";200;IF(C11="Gazetted";1000;IF(C11="Night";200;"")))
this will result with a blank cell if false

i hope it helped

Natalista- Jul 18, 2013 12:01PM
Thank you!
Answer
+5
moins plus
Probably too late for this, but....

Excel does not use the ; it uses a comma to seperate the parts of the function.

The correct format for what you want to do is:

=IF(D11="Evening",200,IF(D11="Gazetted",1000,IF(D11="Night",200,"")))

this will not make the false value appear if the criteria is not met.

The $ function is used to make cells absolute. So for example, you have a cell B1 with value =A1
if you copy this field down, each row underneath will change to the relative value - ie B2 will change to =A2, B3 will change to = A3, etc

If you put =A$1, when dragging the column down, the value will stay the same. So if cell B1 has value =A$1 and you drag this down for other cells, then the value will stay the same, ie =A$1 for B2, B3, B4 etc

Answer
+2
moins plus
Excel uses the ; sign to define where the conditions of the (for example) IF function starts and ends (same is with all other functions) since excel is kind of a simplified programming language u can think of the ; sign as a carriage return, whereas the , sign is used only to combine references or arrays of values (cells). By defining the IF function by commas you basically just told the excel the argument which you want to be tested for true or false, but you did not state what is the true and false condition result, so the probable result will be an error. check your syntax for properly set ; signs.

the IF function (also nearly any function) in excel works as it works in any programming language
IF(something you need tested for true or false) then TRUE is something FALSE is something else
in excel it works like
IF(A1>A2;B1;B2)
if a1 is larger than a2 then the cell containing the function will result in value of cell b1
else if a1 is not larger than a2 the cell will contain value of cell b2
okay
but
IF(A1>A2,B1,B2)
actually is not a valid function meaning that u test if A1 is larger than the intersection of A2 B1 and B2 which is impossible by logic because A2 B1 and B2 are cells not arrays or references so they can't have intersections that is why u get an error message. and supplemental to that in the above function there is no value for TRUE or FALSE defined so that is not a complete function and therefore can't be executed

The INDEX function is basically useless by itself. not completely useless but is better when used with other functions
is is used for referencing, lets make it complex like

INDEX(a1:f10;if(h5>m5;2;4);if(g1>n1;1;5))

meaning
the cell containing the func will result in a value from the array from a1 to f10, and the result will be if h5 is larger than m5 from the second row in the array if not larger from the fourth row, and if g1 is larger than n1 from the first column and if not larger from the fifth column.

INDEX(array;row;column)
meaning the value will be the intersection of the ROW and COLUMN in the given ARRAY
again, from the ARRAY, not the actual row and column numbers

and for the $ sign, as far as I know it is used for showing US currency nothing else. i'm not familiar with any other usage of it in excel.

Answer
+2
moins plus
How would I get a blank cell with this formula =IF(Sheet1!E7=4,Sheet1!A7:F7,FALSE) instead of a false when the condition is not met?

Chiv- May 9, 2012 09:37AM
replace FALSE with, ""
JIN- May 9, 2012 10:38AM
=iferror(IF(Sheet1!E7=4,Sheet1!A7:F7,FALSE) ,"") (Office 2007-2010)
Jackt76- Jul 12, 2013 10:59PM
Dear All,

semicolons(;) and commas (,) are both correct !!

The difference depends by the Region (Country) of the user.

I am Italian and Excel in Italian version works by using semicolons (;) . Now I am living in US using an Excel in English and it works by commas (,) .

This difference is not the only one. I found out there are other differences as wel
Answer
+0
moins plus
ok i m impressed

THANKS DUDE

One more thing

I followed this " ; " instead of " , " does it makes any difference as when i use " ; " i get an error message

Please Also tell me the function of $ in excel.

I heard that it locks the cell , but can you please give me a simple example as to how can it be useful

One more think

Please tell me the Index function , as i read the Bible of Excel 2007 , i still cant figure it out the exact usage.

whats the use ?

This document entitled « REMOVING " FALSE " VALUE IN "IF&quo » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.