Lenovo Laptop won't respond and has black screen

Solved/Closed
Liljohnny - Oct 9, 2015 at 08:45 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Oct 9, 2015 at 11:07 AM
Hello.
Today, when I refreshed a page on lenovo( using win 10), the screen turned black( well, "grey black"). The laptop won't respond at anything( not even caps locks), apart of function +F10, where the monitor just closes.

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Oct 9, 2015 at 11:07 AM
Hello Liljohnny,

When you plug the charger into the jack, can you see the light blinking or just everything remains calm and nothing can be heard from the fan or the hard drive?
If you can't and the warranty of your laptop has expired I suggest you to take out the hard drive and try to connect it to another computer through SATA-USB cable. If the HDD doesn't spin at all, anywhere, then it has failed mechanically and needs replacement.
If you are able to hear the HDD/cooling fan spinning up but you can't see anything on your display, I guess the problem may be due to the failure of the video chip. Sometimes, after much of a use and less cooling the graphics processor which is responsible for video signal transmission get unsolders, the thermic paste goes away and it gets unsoldered, therefore the screen doesn't show anything. If you possess knowledge of notebooks' hardware you can change the paste yourself by opening the laptop and check if the chipset that is next to the processor has got unsoldered or you can bring your laptop to a technician to get it soldered again.
If it's ok, probably there's a problem with the driver of the graphic chip.

Hope I gave you some ideas. Cheers.