External monitor with laptop won't work

Solved/Closed
Pete - Apr 6, 2009 at 02:25 PM
 Brina Boo - Oct 18, 2012 at 08:17 PM
hey I have an acer laptop with vista. I just got another monotor to hook it up to but cannot get it to work. It works when I first start up the laptop. First it goes to the acer loading screen and loads it(this happens on the external monitor) then it goes to a screen that asks whether I would like to start windows normally or not, this happens if I shut it down by just pressing the button. Then no matter which of these I choose the monitor stops working and it switches back to using the laptop screen.

Thanks in advance and I'll try to answer any other questions to the best of my ability
Related:

29 responses

After posting my last reply I found out what's going on with my Acer laptop. The Fn + F5 button doesn't work because it is being over-ridden by a system tray applet in the bottom right-hand corner. This applet looks like a blue square with a gray border, and is called "Intel extreme graphics 2 for mobile". It replaces the Fn + F5 hardware approach with a software approach.

Using this applet, I can direct the laptop's output to my TV. The only thing is that I first have to set my laptop's primary screen to a resolution that my TV accepts if I want to have the same display on both my laptop and TV.

This applet has lots of options for setting up both my primary and secondary displays, but up until now I've been ignoring it and didn't realize what it does.
THANKS!!!!
I was having that problem with an Acer laptop and external monitor. The applet trick is golden.
This info was priceless as I was ready to take a hammer to my Acer Aspire One. Although I am running XP instead of Vista and there was no applet in my system try this info did lead me in the right direction. I was able to right click on my desk top> Choose Graphics Properties>Select Monitor>Apply OR right click desk top>Choose Graphics Options>Output to>Monitor.

Cheers guys,

AL
where is this aplet in the loading screen where you choose users? because my screen is smashed and I can still see some of the things in the right side please help
that helped so much. ive had tthe problem where my fn buttons didnt work and I couldnt get it to go on my tv. This helped so much thanks
OMG!!! I LOVE YOU. I am going to kiss your user name through my screen. I have been trying to resolve my monitor issue for 3 days. I cant believe that stupid littleaplet fixed the problem. I thought I would have to replace my back light.
Mr. Bishop Posts 27 Registration date Sunday April 5, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 12, 2009 5
Apr 6, 2009 at 06:07 PM
you need to press Fn and F8 while the monitor is attached and it should power on if tat doesnt work left click your desktop and click properties and then go to settings and you might have to enable the double monitor feature
Thanks a lot man!

That works. I pressed fn f4 on my HP laptop. cheers!
Xavier Joseph > Mehdi
Oct 22, 2009 at 11:26 AM
Mine is HP too...! Your comments worked well...! Thanks
Gee man, thanks a lot. That was drivin me NUTS and your solution worked. Thank you so much!!!
You, my friend, are the BEST!
thanks 4 it was great I am really happy!!!!
it's working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was having a similar issue with my Acer laptop. The VGA port would work while booting up, but once windows started I wasn't getting a picture on my TV. I found a solution that works for me. I opened the Display properties (right-click on desktop or use Control Paned ! Display). Then I went to the "Settings" tab. It showed two monitor boxes: The first was my laptop screen. The second was grayed out. I clicked on box #2 and then checked the box under it that reads "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" and pressed the Apply button. Once I did this my TV showed a signal again. Next I made sure I was clicked on box 2, and then changed the screen resolution and color depth to values that my TV accepts, once again clicking the Apply button.

Now the trick is that is doesn't mirror the primary screen, but acts as a second screen. To put something on it you slide a window off the laptop's screen in the direction of box 2. The relationship between screen 2 and screen 1 can be changed by re-arranging them on the Display tab. For example, my monitor 2 box sits to the right of my monitor 1 box in the Display panel. So on my laptop screen, I slide a window off the right-side of my laptop screen, and it slides onto my TV. I slide my mouse cursor off the right side of my laptop and it appears on my TV, where I can then work with the windows I have there.
That's what it was! A secondary screen! I tried moving the windows around, and saw them on my TV screen :-) Thanks!
Thanks so much! Hours of frustration and it was so simple! THANK YOU THANK You!
OMG!!! I LOVE YOU. I am going to kiss your user name through my screen. I have been trying to resolve my monitor issue for 3 days. I cant believe that stupid little icon fixed the problem. I thought I would have to replace my back light.
yukichan612 Posts 2 Registration date Friday July 3, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 3, 2009
Jul 3, 2009 at 07:46 PM
Yeah, I have a similar problem with my laptop. My screen is broken so I connected it to an old monitor which used to work. But for some reason, now it's not reading anything. The monitor works and it starts out fine, but then it tells me that the Power Saver is enabled and switches to my laptop screen. Anyone know how to fix that?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
1) Turn off Samsung monitor.

2) Unplug DVI cable from notebook.

3) Turn on Samsung monitor.

4) Select "source" on control panel of Samsung monitor. Select "digital"

This worked for me.
Sorry, I left out an important step, should be point 4 I guess...

...replug the DVI cable into your notebook!
NADIASPARKLES1
Jun 9, 2010 at 03:30 AM
WELL I TOO WAS HOOKING UP MY LAPTOP, AN ACER TO AN OLD DELL VGA MONITOR. WHEN IT FIRST LOADS UP YOU SEE THE BRAND NAME OF THE LAPTOP APPEAR AND THEN FOLLOWED SHORTLY BY WINDOWS BEGINS TO LOAD. AFTER THAT IT USUALLY SWITCHES BACK TO THE LAPTOP SCREEN. THEN THE VGA MONITOR WOULD SAY CHECK SIGNAL. SO HERE IS WHAT I HAD TO DO IN ORDER TO GET MY LAPTOP TO WORK. FIRST I WOULD SUGGEST TO GET THE MONITOR TURNED ON FIRST AND WARMED UP SO THAT YOU DON'T MISS THE BRAND NAME OF THE LAPTOP APPEAR WHEN YOU FIRST TURN IT ON. WHEN I TURNED ON MY LAPTOP ACER WOULD APPEAR, EXACTLY THEN I WOULD QUICKLY PRESS F5 TO BRING UP ADMINISTRATIVE OPTIONS MENU, FROM THAT MENU YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO PRESS F8 FOR MORE ADMINISTRATIVE DIAGNOSTIC OPTIONS. SO PRESS F8 AND IT WILL BRING UP A LIST OF DIFFERENT OPTIONS. *SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING, SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT.* WHEN YOU SEE THESE OPTIONS ON THE SCREEN YOU GO DIRECTLY BENEATH THE SAFE MODE OPTIONS AND PICK ENABLE VGA MODE. THEN LET THE COMPUTER BOOT UP AND WINDOW S WILL LOAD UP AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO USE YOUR OLD MONITOR WITH YOUR LAPTOP. BUT CAREFUL AS SOMETIME FOR SOME REASON WHILE SWITCHING USER ACCOUNTS I HAVE FOUND THAT THE ACER WILL SWITCH OFF AGAINJ AND GO BACK ITS SCREEN.
I have a an Acer laptop with a smashed screen, recently the external monitor would not turn on except in safemode and I was stuck looking at nothing. The fn +f5 combination did not work. It had previously worked fine. I found that the easiest way to use my external monitor was to select one of my users and once they were selected, I then used the fn +f5 key combo and it worked fine. To select a user account, I randomly clicked around the screen until one of them opened because my screen is busted. It took a little time but once it dd I could hear my computer begin to work. This was the easiest solution for me. There is a good chance this will only work with acer laptops using vista, however, I recommend that anyone try it who is having this problem
Hey I had this problem as well and how I got it to work was I placed my computer in safe mode. Yeah it was that simple. When it was acting funny it would show the startup of windows and then switch back to the laptop monitor. This happened several times and I was starting to get upset. I then just turn the computer off by holding down the power button. He came up with the option to put the computer in safe mode and I chosed it. It's kinda of limited in what you can do, but you should be able to switch your monitor settings while the computer is in safe mode. I only used it to get my files off there. I hope this helps somebody.
I love you! My monitor now works. YESSS!!! Clickimg then selecting output works, guys. Thanks again!
As my laptop's screen lost the backlite, I was using an external monitor (windows xp). It was working fine, until one day I screwed up one of the settings of the display properties. My computer stopped sending signals to the external monitor.
I tried everything from updating the drivers to updating the bios. Nothing worked. Finally I resorted to the system restore function ( start --> all programs -->accessories --> system toos--> system restore)
I just reverted back the system to the previous day's restore point. My external monitor started working fine.
thats all fine and dandy but I cant do any of that because my screen is broke
AnacondaReborn > zanku
Dec 23, 2009 at 08:33 PM
ok,heres what worked for me..I dropped my Acer netbook(vista) and broke the screen.Bought a 23" LCD Acer monitor...would kick off after the start-up screen.I started the netbook in safe mode,went to display properties in the control panel,and set the resolution for 32 bit.i then restarted the netbook,and in normal operating mode switched between the monitors using Fn and F6,no problem.Hope that helps.:)
What you are going to want to do it go to 'Start' and select 'Control Panel' and then 'Display' (make sure the monitor is connected to the laptop through this process). Then from there you can set up the connection between the laptop and the monitor. Make sure you click 'Apply' whenever you want a change to be made.
I also facing the same issue as Panzer. My laptop was working fine with my TV till Friday of last week. Then when I unplugged it and connected it to my 19 inch External Monitor, it wont work (it used to work fine the previous day). It stopped working with the TV also.

I restarted the comp and unplugged all cords. Like panzer says I suspects its something to do with the resolution. Not sure what the solution is...so I dropped my laptop at the shop for a checkup. I am glad I am still under warranty...)
for ACER laptops you have to plug in the cord first then press Fn && F5 until the icon laptop and tv screen pops up!
Thank you so much...did the trick!
You have to change your monitor settings to dual monitor weather it be clone or extended desktop! You usually do this with you display manager and since you said you were running vista! Search CCC in your start menu and click the first one and it will guide you through the steps!
i have a problem with my notebook, when i'm installing a software I cant see the accept button thats why I decided to plug it to an external monitor and disabled the monitor of my notebook to extend my desktop to the external monitor, now my problem is I cant enable the monitor of my notebook.
thanks in advance! please help me
itskendichick
Jun 14, 2010 at 01:42 PM
its not working for me
Mat, better get some external LCD and connect it to the notebook. Anyway, I also facing the same problem with yr guys. And now i'm using external LCD while waiting bonus (in dream) from my boss to buy new CPU.

My question is, if I pull out the notebook's LCD from the body, does the notebook still working? Anyone hv any idea?
Thank you very much - the reply that mentions the applet in the task bar (bottom right of screen) regarding the icon that is a blue screen with a gray boarder worked for me... I right clicked selected to send graphics and checked (highlighted) monitor... it was on "notebook" and 5 seconds later I can see everythion my dell 22" screen. I also am working off an ACER laptop... Thank you again!
Ok, now i'm confused. I think I have the same problem as many of you. I have an ACER Aspire 5570Z with Vista. The screen broke. I hooked up a Dell external monitor and used Fn F5. It worked for about a week than simply stopped working. The screen shows the Digital Input Self Test Feature Check. Fn F5 doesn't work anymore, Fn F8 doesn't help, etc.

i can't find any applets or start in the Safe Mode because I can see anything on the broken monitor or on the Dell which only shows the self test.

I admit I'm pretty ignorant about this. How can I get the screen to work, even one time, so that I can try some of the other ideas I've read in earlier posts?

HELP!!!
Evil > taccotom
Jan 19, 2010 at 06:11 PM
My name is Erin Thompson I have a broken screen too I try everything I don't know what to do I tired Desktop Display and a admit I mess and I play around with my computer all the time and still have a broken screen
imfamous dragon > Evil
Jan 19, 2010 at 07:32 PM
i have a very similar problem I using a monitor but my laptop is broken the feature is only for a short time period after u fn f5 and it works u must go in acer mangment and look at laptop screen and disable laptop screen only other wise it will go back plus u must set it then leave it I look at all of your problems and I have the siilar one as soon as I get home ill send the good news ok thanks for the little hits
Caleb > taccotom
Jan 26, 2010 at 01:59 AM
Hello
I have the same problem with mine, only I just figured it out. I dropped my acer a few days ago, and the screen went all streaky. I then plugged it into an old HP monitor and it would show up on the monitor while it was starting up, and then go back to the main display. I couldn't get it to go into safe mode, and had heard that this was the best way to get it to send to the other monitor.
I had tried hitting F8 while it was starting up but my boot menu timeout was set to 0 which means no wait. Thus making it harder to get it into the boot menu. I shut my computer off with the power button and then when I turned it on again I started tapping F8 over and over again. As fast as I could until it pulled up the boot menu. I was then able to select safe mode, and it is now up on my HP monitor.
Well, I have been without my labtop for 3 weeks, and I tell you when I was reading what everyone's input.
you all really saved me money, I was going to send this HP to the shop or buy another because they said the monitor was gone. so my hats off to you Mr. Bishop opening the door to Mehdi and helping myself with the F4.....so THANKS
Thanks for the advice about the Fn and F8, saves me a lot of time which I would otherwise have spent on the phone with the technical help desk. once again, thanks.