How to remove .exe extension from files and folders?

Closed
uzair_kf Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 13, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 22, 2015 - Oct 13, 2015 at 09:48 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 22, 2015 at 04:16 PM
Hello!
I have this virus in my pc hard drive which hid all my files and folders and created their copy file with an executable(.exe) of the same. I did some research on internet and found out that this virus has to be removed using an antivirus that could detect it and then have to unhide my files using cmd prompt. Now I used Norton Antivirus and it cleaned the virus from my pc. all the shortcut and copy files are gone now. except that it shows all my files with a .exe extension and not with the original size of the file or folder. As a result the infected partition of my hard disk(126GB) which was almost full shows just 11GB of the memory being used. The rest of the memory it shows is free.
I am attatching a screen shot of what my files look like. the screen shot is of the image(.jpg) files which have an added .exe extension

Now, upto this point I was able to get along with the info but when it came to unhiding the files in cmd prompt, I just couldnt figure out what to do. Whenever I try unhiding my files using "D:\>attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d D:\*.*", D: being my drive which is infected, it shows "Access Denied - D:\System Volume Information". I just could not get beyond this point.

Please help me with this problem as I have some crucial data on my drive that I need to recover. Many many thanks in advance.
Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Oct 13, 2015 at 04:42 PM
To help you and prescribe the remedy, I must make a diagnostic and to do so, I require a report.

1. Open this link and download ZHPDiag2 :
https://nicolascoolman.eu
(Don't be alarmed is the site is in French, it sometimes happens, the tool will take your system language and allow the download if you get a warning message, ignore it.) Click on the download button

2. Save the file on your Desktop.

3. Double click on ZHPDiag.exe and follow the installation instructions.

(For Vista, Win 7 and 8 users, click right to ensure you execute with admin right)

4. Double click on the short cut ZHPDiag on your Destktop.

5. Click on Full.

Wait for the tool to finished (maybe a long time)

6. Close ZHPDiag.

7. To transmit the report, click on this link :

https://authentification.site

8. Search the directory where you installed ZHPDiag (usually C:\desktop\zhpdiag.txt).
9. Copy the url link obtained from Speedyshare and paste it here in your reply.

Ambucias
Moderator and Virus/Security Contributor