How can I restore corrupt .edb?

Solved/Closed
JacobusdeKoning Posts 2 Registration date Monday October 26, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2015 - Oct 26, 2015 at 09:48 AM
JacobusdeKoning Posts 2 Registration date Monday October 26, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2015 - Oct 27, 2015 at 04:42 PM
Hello,

I have an exchange server with a .edb that is in a dirty shutdown state. I have 2 storage groups. The second storage group will not mount due to dirty shutdown. That database is on e: drive, the transaction logs are in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Second Storage Group I tried to run eseutil /mh e:\exdb2 but I get an error saying that the file is locked.
What is the exact command I need to run to repair the .edb?

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Oct 26, 2015 at 12:09 PM
Hello,

Try running a soft repair on the log files.

Your log files location as you state is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Second Storage Group".

Make sure the database is unmounted. You may need to stop exchange services.

Check the prefix of your log files.

go to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Second Storage Group

eg. Mine start with E00 - Make a note.

Open the Exchange Management Shell as administrator

Now type:

eseutil /r "E00" /l "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Second Storage Group" /d "E:\exdb2"

Once this has complete you need to run the /mh command again to check the state.

johngardner35 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday October 27, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2015
Oct 27, 2015 at 11:18 AM
May be this article will give you more information.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...
First you need to stop your Information Store service and back up everything (edb, stm, and log files) to a different disk. You must ensure that you have sufficient amount of free disk space.
Now, follow the steps given below to get your database back to the clean shutdown state:
Initially, run the following command to verify your database consistency:
eseutil /mh "c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"
If you find the database state to be 'Dirty Shutdown', perform a soft repair using the below command:
eseutil /r "c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"
This command replays the transaction log files to make sure that all the database operations are successfully completed.
Perform a hard repair of your database using 'Eseutil /p' as follows:
eseutil /p "c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"
Defrag your database stores by using the 'Eseutil /d' command-line utility.
Finally check the database integrity by running the 'Isinteg' utility from the BIN folder as follows:
'isinteg -s servername -fix -test alltests'
Please also refer following Microsoft's support article for same.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/896143#3
JacobusdeKoning Posts 2 Registration date Monday October 26, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2015
Oct 27, 2015 at 04:42 PM
Thanks guys!) solved!)