My computer won't recognize my ipod

Closed
SteelersfaninFL - Oct 27, 2015 at 12:30 PM
 steelerfaninfl - Nov 8, 2015 at 11:29 PM
Hello, I read through all the questions and answers, I've done it all! Rebooted my ipod, switched cables, reinstalled the latest version of ITUNES... nothing! When I plug in (no matter what USB port) I get no Ding, it does not show up under device manager, because the PC does not recognize it at all. I've used this IPOD on this PC for a year now, with no problem. It just started all of a sudden, I synced a last week, listened to a great book and now that I'm ready for a new book to download... NOTHING.

Any thoughts?

10 responses

EdoubleU Posts 109 Registration date Friday August 28, 2015 Status Contributor Last seen November 3, 2015 109
Oct 29, 2015 at 09:51 PM
does your ipod still function and does it charge through a regular outlet?
steelerfaninFL
Oct 30, 2015 at 01:48 PM
Yes, it charges on my docking station and it still plays what's on there. I just can't get my laptop to recognize it. Do you know if there is a hard-reset on these? I remember my old ipod (my first one, years ago) had a little hole where you could stick a paper clip and it would force a complete reset. Everything would be gone if you did that tho. I don't see any way to do a hard reset on this ipod.
Blocked Profile
Oct 28, 2015 at 04:31 PM
Take a look at this :https://ccm.net/forum/affich-119345-computer-doesn-t-recognize-ipod

It seems like it helped a couple of people.
Blocked Profile
Oct 29, 2015 at 06:13 PM
Wow, I figured with over a 1000+, it would apply. My bad! Let us revisit!
steelerfaninFL
Oct 29, 2015 at 06:24 PM
It's charging now... still hope!
EdoubleU Posts 109 Registration date Friday August 28, 2015 Status Contributor Last seen November 3, 2015 109
Oct 29, 2015 at 06:22 PM
might have something to do with your bios settings. have you tried hooking it up to a different computer or whatever to see if it reads it then?
steelerfaninFL
Oct 29, 2015 at 06:25 PM
Yes, I have 2 lap tops here... both windows 7. It doesn't work on either. But, my old IPOD works on both.
Blocked Profile
Oct 29, 2015 at 06:46 PM
OK, steelerfaninFL...hang in there!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Oct 30, 2015 at 02:09 PM
what kind is it?
Oct 30, 2015 at 02:17 PM
also, have you checked to see if you have the apple mobile device manager program? and if yes, is it enabled? all apple products need it to be recognized.
Oct 30, 2015 at 02:21 PM
it may have somehow stopped and would have to be restarted through your task manager. only thing else I can really think of besides the ipod input jack is whacked out could be some missed updates for your laptop. check your action center just to make sure you're all updated and all that jazz.
steelerfaninFL
Oct 30, 2015 at 06:32 PM
It's an IPOD nano, 4th gen, no camera, version 1.0.4 PC, 8G. I've used 6.7 G right now, could that have anything to do with it? I need to delete a few things before downloading any more books. I'll check the mobile device mgr... interesting... Apple Mobile Device support is there, but no Apple Mobile Device Manager. Apple device support is currently running.

Also installed one update. I checked to see the updates that were installed since my last successful sync... 17 of them, but most were security for MS products I run. Several were for Window2010... I'm on 2007 and do not intend to go to 2010.

Do you know how to get the device manager? I could go an search, but maybe you can save me some time here!?
Oct 30, 2015 at 07:03 PM
just go to your control panel>administration options>computer managememt>device manager. down towards the bottom it will have option for usb says like serial bus enumerator. click on that and it should have the apple manager thing in there. right click to properties and click enable. you can also click start, search task manager and look for it if it's running in the processes. it should also be in your programs, control panel>programs>add or remove program.
steelerfaninFL
Oct 30, 2015 at 07:48 PM
EdoubleU, I just found something on Google that suggests that my security software may be interfering with the Apple device services... are device services the same as device manger? Also, in the strings of comments I found a few days ago, someone was saying that their IPOD stopped working when they upgraded to Win2010. I'm running Win2007, but could one of the "Win2010 updates" that were made on my computer be interfering here?
Nov 1, 2015 at 07:09 AM
Sorry for the untimely reply. I believe they are the same and yes, it could be a possibility regarding the Win 2010 updates. Before updating to the latest Itunes you have to uninstall not just itunes but the apple support program and I believe there are 2 more programs that come along with itunes you have to unistall also. so 4 total. After you unistall all those then get the most recent itunes version. hopefully this will work for you.
steelerfaninfl
Nov 8, 2015 at 11:29 PM
Last week I completely unistalled and reinstalled all apple softeare on my computer...NOTHING. It's still the same, the Ipod plays, charges and works except that it is not regognized by my computers. I think the unit is damaged. I'm very unhappy with Ipods in general now since i've had to buy several over the past 5 years and they all quit for some unknown reason. Other ipods work on my computer so, the problem must be with the ipod.
Blocked Profile
Oct 27, 2015 at 05:41 PM
What OS are you using? What happens to the IPOd when you make a connection? Does it show it is charging or anything?
SteelersfaninFL
Oct 27, 2015 at 07:44 PM
Windows 7. Nothing has changed on my laptop since my last sync.
SteelersfaninFL
Oct 27, 2015 at 07:44 PM
BTW, when I hook up, the IPOD knows it's connected, it lights up. But doesn't charge.
Blocked Profile
Oct 27, 2015 at 08:00 PM
Try this...take a qtip and clean the connector metal on the cable. Make certain it isn't connected to anything.
SteelersfaninFL
Oct 28, 2015 at 01:30 PM
Did it, still the same, IPOD lights up, but PC doesn't know anything is connected. BTW, I've tried several cables, same story.
steelerfaninFL
Oct 29, 2015 at 06:08 PM
Did you check out the string you sent in the last email? The only advice was to reset the ipod by holding "menu" and the center button at the same time... I've done that at least twice every day since it died. The only comment that even came close to addressing the issues where the reset didn't work was one person that suggested to ditch the IPOD and go with MP3... great advice. I'm still trying, but my old IPOD that I thought I lost several years ago, is working. I sync'd up to that am using my old taped ipod, but the "new" one (that is about 1.5 years old) still won't work with my computer. Any other ideas?