Recovery of hidden files from c drive after window format.

Closed
NANDINI - Oct 30, 2015 at 12:53 PM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Nov 17, 2015 at 07:30 AM
Hello,

i have few hidden files in my c drive by chance my window got formatted.... now i am unable to find those files....can i recover them from any means .plz help
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Oct 30, 2015 at 08:04 PM
Hi Nandini.

First off stop using the drive! using it may cause any recoverable data to be ovewritten and then not available any more. In any case there is no guarentee that recovery will work, and emphasises the need for regular backups of important data.

You need to install the hard drive into another machine as a secondary drive and use a data recovery tool to scan your disk for data so recovery can be made. There are some free ones out there on the Internet. My favourite at the moment is "Mount and search" - a free utility that will need to be downloaded and installed onto the computer that will be used to recover any data. It is quite simple to use and has helped me out of several holes in the past.

Please let me know how you get on.
hi,,i did the same wot u said and i do found a new partition ,,,,but it is not that which contain my hidden files in c before window format ...the searched result did not match my hidden files.. there were 3 types of scan .. i do all 3. still the resultant partition was same in all case.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Nov 17, 2015 at 07:30 AM
Hi Nandini,

You need to scan the largest partition (usually). It will normally have a "Windows" directory and a "Program Files" directory. You need to find the "Users" directory and drill down to the username that has the lost files. In there should be a "Documents" folder and a "Desktop" folder. These are the most common places for files to be kept. If you saved them somewhere else then you need to go to that location. Save the files you need to the computer you are using - NOT the original hard drive in case you overwrite the data you need.

Also, be aware that this is not an infalible recovery. If you continued to use the drive afer formatting, then your data may be lost for ever.

Let me know how you get on.