Hdd full of movies but cant find file

Closed
al - Nov 29, 2015 at 10:15 PM
 AL - Dec 6, 2015 at 10:21 PM
Hello,
i have verbatim 500 GB external portable HDD . it is full of movies that was taped on a olin set top box . the file name the set top box uses is ALIDVR . I have been using this hdd for about 12 mths now . it works on all sorts media players / my computer /etc . i went to use it yesterday and could not find the ALIDVR FILE that all my movies are in .it is if they are hidden , i tried plugging the hdd into my computer but i still cant them . the computer shows that the hdd is still full . but it wont show the ALIDVR file . it say the hhd is healthy . i have tried it on all my media players . but i cant find the file . the ALIDVR file is the only file on the hdd . how do i make the file appear again .it must still be on the hdd .because it is still full
Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Nov 29, 2015 at 10:36 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

Make sure that the file is not hidden.

Click on Start --> In search box, type control folders and press Enter.

"Folder Options" will be opened.

Click on the "View" tab.

Now select the option "Show hidden files, folders or drives"

and uncheck the check box "Hide protected operating system

files
" --> Click on "OK" button.

Now look for files in your external drive.

Later undo the changes you have made by once again going to "Folder

Options" --> Click on "View" tab and click on "Restore Defaults" button

--> Click on "OK".

Good Luck
before i start . i just want to thank you for taking the time to help me . i did what you said and all that come up was FOUND 000 FOUND 001 FOUND 002 . when i click on found folders inside was hundreds of the following files [ file0000 CHK RECOVERED FILE FRAGMENT .] what do i do now to get those files back to the original ALIDVR file so i can play them back on my media player . thank again
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Dec 4, 2015 at 02:43 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
First backup those .CHK files in another location.
Click on the below hyperlink "UnCHK" and download the file
UnCHK
Download the above application and perform the UnCHK on your backup folder.
If you need information about the CHK Files, click on the below hyperlink "Information".
Information
Good Luck
al > jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Dec 5, 2015 at 12:01 AM
down loaded UNCHK 4 times . every time i try to put it on my computer all i get is [MSVBVMM50DLL was not found try down loading again] . have you any other suggestions ? thank you
Dec 5, 2015 at 01:32 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
There is an another freeware application which you can try. Click on the below hyperlink "TRC Data Recovery" and download the file.
TRC Data Recovery
Make sure that you make a copy of those FOUND 000 FOUND 001 FOUND 002 files by copying it to another location as a backup.
Open that downloaded application and click on "Browse". Now navigate to your CHK files location --> Follow the on-screen instructions.
Good Luck
AL > jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Dec 6, 2015 at 10:21 PM
i tried the TRC DATA RECOVERY [ CHK-BACK] when i finished the check with TRC DATA RECOVERY . all the results came back [unknown file type] most of the chk files are only 32 bits . but the ones that are about 2 to 3 GB are the ones with the movies on . if i open them using WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER . the computer will play them . but my media player or any set top box etc .wont play them ;only the computer . it is a strange one . the set top box that i recorded them on has a ALIDVR filing system . i dont know if that is mpeg or mp4 file .i was using FAT 32 formatt is there any way of changing the CHK files with the movies on to mpeg or mp4 . i think most players can play mpeg or mp4 movies files . thank you alan