HP laptop power issues

Solved/Closed
Mack - Updated on Nov 11, 2018 at 03:48 PM
 lynn1013 - Apr 25, 2021 at 03:35 PM
Hello,

My HP laptop has recently gone dead on me. No response from the power button at all. What is odd is that the power supply light is brightly lit when plugged into the wall, but once it is connected to the computer, the light begins to flash at a very dim level. It seems like some sort of short, hopefully something just where the power input is in the laptop. When the cord is wiggled a bit, it also sounds like a somehting is loose and sitting incorrectly just inside the computer

Any help would be appreciated.
Related:

4 responses

Hey Kyle,

I actually solved my problem a while ago. I too thought it was the power supply, and took it to Best Buy, where for free they just plugged in a different power supply with no change to the computer. That left the internal connection, so I opened the case (which was quite easy to do) and the place where the power cord connects to the motherboard has a small silver housing. I just kinda wiggled mine around until the light of the power supply came on again, and put it all back together. No problems since.

Hopefully that might work for you.
Hello Friends,
I ALSO HAVE HP DV2000, MOST HOPLESS LAPTOP IN WHOLE WORLD, SAME PROBLEM ALL LIGHTS ARE ON AND NOTHING DISPLAY ON SCREEN "ONLY BLANK BLACK SCREEN". I BOUGHT IT JUST ONE YEAR BACK AND THE BATTERY WAS OUT OF ORDER AFTER 5 MONTHS. DUE TO US WARRANTY I WAS UNABLE TO GET IT REPLACE IN INDIA, NOW THIS PROBLEM HP IS REALLY THE WORST COMPANY I EVER DEAL WITH.
NEVER BUY HP PRODUCTS THEY ONLY KNOW HOW TO FOOL THE BUYER WITH THERE WORST PRODUCTS AND MOST EXPENSIVE SERVICE CENTERS. IF ANY ONE KNOW THE SOLUCTION FOR BLACK SCREEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW ELSE I HAVE TO THROW THIS LAPTOP IN THE GARBAGE !!!!!

HP IS WORST COMPANY IN WHOLE UNIVERSE, THEY SELL JUNK, GARBAGE products around the world, NEVER BUY AN HP PRODUCT, BY BUYING IT YOU ARE KILLING YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.......................................................­............................................................­........... I DON'T THINK MY HP LAPTOP DV2000 WILL EVER WORK LIKE BEFORE, I HAVE TO BUY NEW ONE.................. BUT I WONT LEAVE THE COMPANY LIKE THIS I WILL CLAIM MY FUNDS, WE ALL HAVE TO TALK WITH H/P FOR REFUNDING OUR FUNDS OR REPLACE OUR DEFECTIVE PIECES WITH NEW ONCES.......................................................­.............................
ALL PEOPLE KEEP AWAY YOUR SELF WITH HP, WORST PRODUCTS, WORST & MOST EXPENSIVE SERVICE CENTERS, MOST CHEAP QUALITY AND HP THE COMPANY JUST EAT THE MONEY BY MAKE YOU FOOL.
Nice Job Kate, you really did help the fellow who asked for it. Not only did you rant about HP IN ALL CAPS you officially made yourself sound like a jerk.

Anyway, I have been having issues with my HP, and they all revolve around the power supply. I believe I had a short in the transformer for the power cable and now my whole computer is lost to me. It won't repond to the power button nor will it charge. I'm thinking it's a fried wire inside, but I see no scorch marks anywhere on the laptop ports; so I am not exactly sure. Any suggestions/quotes on prices for repairs would be much appreciated.