Excel Filter/Macro

Solved/Closed
LSKM - Jan 14, 2016 at 05:30 PM
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 - Jan 15, 2016 at 05:19 PM
Hello,
Thank you in advance for any time/help you can offer!

I'm working on a contact list in Excel and I need to be able to filter my contacts in a few different ways. Each contact is in a row and each column includes information (name, media type, etc). I've never done programming before so I'm not sure where to start.

The workbook is made up of a few different parts:
- "MASTER" sheet (includes everyone)
- "TV" sheet (for those contacts marked as "TV" in column B ("MEDIA TYPE") on "MASTER" sheet)
- "RADIO" sheet (for contacts marked as "Radio" in column B ("MEDIA TYPE") on "MASTER" sheet)
- etc.

I need to be able to filter (automatically copy/paste if possible) those people on the "MASTER" sheet to their respective "TV"/"RADIO" sheets. The reason for the automatic is because the document will be updated fairly frequently.

Is there a macro/how-to where I can learn to do this? Thanks again!

- Loren
Related:

3 responses

vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Jan 15, 2016 at 05:06 AM
Hello Loren,

Perhaps a look at the following link to a similar thread back in early December may give you a guide to a possible solution. I believe that your query is similar. The Poster did not bother to reply so we cannot be totally sure if it worked for him.

https://ccm.net/forum/affich-859527-vba-copying-data-to-new-sheets

In the above-mentioned thread, my post #2 has a code which should work for you also although you need to ignore lines 14 - 21 of that code (this part creates new named sheets which you won't need to do).

There is a DropBox link in the same post which shows how the code works.

Have a look and let us know what you think. If it suits, we should be able to sort something out for you.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Hi vcoolio,

Thanks for the links! While I didn't use your code, your response helped shed some light and point the way to another idea: I saved my excel workbook as macro compatible, then recorded a macro as a key command that I can use in the future to copy the necessary contacts from the MASTER worksheet to their designated worksheet. It keeps all the contacts up to date and it's relatively easy to maintain since all the editing still takes place in the MASTER worksheet.

Much appreciated!
- Loren
Blocked Profile
Jan 14, 2016 at 07:21 PM
If you have data that is being updated, a spreadsheet is not the platform for that. You need a database to make these record changes. Then run a report based on what value you wish to query!
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Jan 15, 2016 at 05:19 PM
Hello Loren,

That's great! It's called using your initiative!

I'm glad that I was able to help out in a small way. If you ever get stuck, just call back and we'll see what we can do for you.

Good luck!

Cheerio,
vcoolio.