Loopback /static IP address issue

Closed
Nutka Posts 1 Registration date Sunday February 22, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 13, 2009 - Apr 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM
 lisky - May 5, 2009 at 05:51 AM
Hello,
I'm having a problem with software running on several servers.

For some very strange reason these machine don't report either of their
assigned IP addresses. They report what's called their loopback address.

So the software at boot time says "what's your IP" and the machine
responds with "127.0.0.1".

If you then wait for the machine to finish booting, the machine reports
the correct IP address.

If anyone could help me with that issue I will be very thankful.

Regards,
Nutka

1 response

The term loopback (sometimes spelled loop-back) is generally used to describe methods or procedures of routing electronic signals, digital data streams, or other flows of items, from their originating facility quickly back to the same source entity without intentional processing or modification. This is primarily intended as a means of testing the transmission or transportation infrastructure.

Examples of applications include the following:

A method of performing transmission tests of access lines from the serving switching center, which method usually does not require the assistance of personnel at the served terminal.
A method of testing between stations (not necessarily adjacent) wherein two lines are used, with the testing being done at one station and the two lines interconnected at the distant station. Commonly called loop around when the interconnecting circuit is accessed by dialing.
A patch cable, applied manually or automatically, remotely or locally, that facilitates a loop-back test.
A communication channel with only one endpoint. Any message transmitted through such a channel is immediately received by the same channel.
eg someone as set a selftest runing on one of the servers or you have been hacked (but this is unlikley)
hope this helps. frank