Windows XP blue screen start up loop HELP PLEASE

Closed
bec - Jan 21, 2016 at 09:31 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 21, 2016 at 05:37 PM
Hello,
I have a Windows XP home edition, I do not have the compact disc.
I am stuck in a reboot loop.
The windows logo pops up as usual but then the blue screen pops up
The blue screen pops up saying
'setup is being restarted........'
the screen goes black as if it is trying to load, and then a message pops up saying
"Insert disk
Please insert the compact disc labeled 'Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD' into your CD-ROM drive (E:) and then click OK.

You can also click OK if you want files to be copied from an alternate location, such as a floppy disk."

-I click ok-

then another pop up window appears
"Files needed
The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK,
Copy files from: (drop down menu)
E:\l386 or
C:\WINDOWS\inf\WG111v3\ or
K:\

Since I do not have the disk, it does not allow me to select anything so i click esc.

Another pop up window"
"Fatal Error
An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
The operation was canceled by the user.
Press OK to view the Setup log file."

-I click ok-

Another pop up window:
"System Setup Log - (C:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log)
Error:
Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security.
An extended error has occured.

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
The operation was canceled by the user.
(the fatal error message repeats several times).
so i press close, and the computer restarts and does the whole thing again

I have tried to start the system in 'safe mode' and an error message pops up with 'cannot start system in safe mode'

Is there anything I can do without having a setup disc?
If I need to get one, do you have a link of an Australian website or store I could get a disc which would help my start up?

I just need the computer to work for long enough for me to get some old photos off it.
Im really not good with IT stuff, but is there any kind of buttons or code I can put into the computer to stop it from doing this,
or anyway i can bypass everything and just start up the computer in order to get the picture files off the computer?

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 21, 2016 at 05:37 PM
You might be able to read your hard disk using a USB hard disk adapter on another computer. If this is a OLD computer it might be using an IDE hard disk. I might be hard to find the right adapter.

Another option is to use a bootable Linux CD bypassing Windows and using Linux to copy the files to a flash disk.

Or, you pay a local PC repair shop to recover the flies.

Good Luck