Toshiba laptop: power works but screen won't turn on. [Solved]

Ask a question slicedash - Last answered on Jan 29, 2016 02:57AM
Hello,

I have a toshiba laptop of age 1-2 years old. A fex days ago I restarted my laptop and all assuden the screen won't turn on anymore.

When I press the power button: fan goes on, lights on the num-lock flash like it always does at the start but my screen gives no responce.

Any help is welcome :)
See more 
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hello slicedash,

In situations like this it's recommended connecting the laptop to an external monitor to see will there be any video signal going out from the laptop. If it does go out, then there's a need for LCD inverter replacement. If there's nothing showing either on external monitor nor display, but the fans are still working, the problem that you have may be due to the failure of the video chip. Sometimes, after much of a use and less cooling the graphics processor which is responsible for video signal transmission get unsolders, the thermic paste goes away and it gets unsoldered, therefore the screen doesn't show anything. If you possess knowledge of laptops' hardware you can change the paste yourself by opening the laptop and check if the chipset that is next to the processor has got unsoldered or you can bring your laptop to a technician to get it soldered again.

Hope this will help you. Have a great weekend.
KY_WD 1744Posts jueves, 23 de octubre de 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus December 2, 2016 Last seen - Jan 25, 2016 05:35AM
Hello again,

Unfortunately, I haven't changed the thermic paste on my laptop by myself, so I couldn't give so many hints on that. When I got that problem, I just brought my lappy to PC company and they did that for me.
Can you boot into Safe mode your system? Do you see anything when booting into Safe mode? If you do, restore the system to last known good configuration. But if you don't, then I'll stick to my comment above and I would leave the reparation in professional hands.

Good luck.
slicedash 5Posts Thursday January 21, 2016Registration date January 25, 2016 Last seen - Jan 25, 2016 06:42AM
i can't boot in safe mode as the screen stays black
KY_WD 1744Posts jueves, 23 de octubre de 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus December 2, 2016 Last seen - Jan 27, 2016 03:54AM
Hey there,

Have you managed to find a cable to connect the laptop to an external monitor? If you did, I would like to know the result of that operation.
If you haven't, please, do so, because if you get a signal to an external display, then the problem is not with the video-chip but the LCD inverter.

Cheers.
Slicedash- Jan 27, 2016 08:37AM
I didn't got any connection, one of my friends has my laptop now as he works in the IT sector. let's hope he fix it. He will tell me what it was tho :)
KY_WD 1744Posts jueves, 23 de octubre de 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus December 2, 2016 Last seen - Jan 29, 2016 02:57AM
Good luck! :)
Add comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?