New computer will not recognize my hard drive

Solved/Closed
Bouddicca Posts 1 Registration date Thursday January 21, 2016 Status Member Last seen January 21, 2016 - Jan 21, 2016 at 05:52 PM
 Bouddicca - Jan 25, 2016 at 11:53 AM
Hello,
I have an old external HP hard drive with all my my data on. I have a new computer and it will not recognize my hard drive, says it s USB device has malfunctioned. There are 2 lights on the drive, a steady green one and a flashing orange/red one.
I am completely illiterate computer wise. Even if my hard drive is broekn is there any way I can get my data?
\Thank you for any help.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 22, 2016 at 05:51 AM
HI Bouddicca,

I would recommend you to test the drive with another USB cable and on another PC. Check if the drive is visible in Disk Management and in Device Manager, under USB devices. If it is recognized in Disk Management, check if it has drive letter and file format. If possible, upload a screenshot.
If the drive is not recognized, even on another PC and with another cable, you may need to use some data recovery tools. Check the downloads section of the forum.
https://ccm.net/download/file-management-53/windows/

Hope this helps

Thank you for your reply. I have tried what you say but it is still not recognized.
I am i a panic now because I have lost all my data a nd photographs.
I could just cry.
I will checkmout the place you say.
Thank you again, as I know its difficult to explain things on line.
Best wishes.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Bouddicca
Jan 25, 2016 at 04:56 AM
So, the hard drive is not recognized even connecter to another PC? Any change with another cable? Sadly, if none of this helps, the only chance could be using a data recovery tool. Can you feel/hear the drive spinning when connected? Are there any strange noises coming from the drive? If the drive cannot spin because of some mechanical issue, recovering the data could be really hard and would be best to contact a data recovery company.
Hi can not hear any sounds tried other cables etc. So will take your advice thank you so much and thanks to all.
:)