Ask a question Report

My itunes library cannot be read because i [Solved/Closed]

calbee - Latest answer on Nov 17, 2012 12:02AM
Hello,
hello world!!!? how can i get through this , i just recently used my itunes on my mac but all of a sudden
when i open it says ,, THE FILE ITUNES LIBRARY CANOT BE READ BECAUSE IT WAS CREATED BY A NEWER
VERSION OF I TUNES.. pls help me,,
Read more 
Answer
+219
moins plus
I had this problem when upgrading the iTunes software! the solution was to rename "library.itl" to library.old and then start iTunes.

ef- Jul 9, 2010 09:17AM
Thank you very much
karebear- Jul 21, 2010 09:59AM
How are you supposed to rename it? i tried doing that computer c thing but it wont work please help! :<= you have to first "show the suffix of your files" and then to change it. Indeed I think you can just delete the library file. the itunes will come up with a new one.
Dave- Aug 3, 2010 08:22AM
Thanks men.... This is the answer.. it worked!!
yy- Aug 6, 2010 04:57PM
Merci it works
jhon- Nov 17, 2012 12:02AM
big tnx....
Answer
+47
moins plus
Easy, just go to your Music folder and find itunes folder there, where will be

*1 xml file which you must move somewhere else
*you can delete files from 'previous library folder
*go back and put itunes library file in 'previous library' folder and boot itunes

Ray- May 30, 2010 03:34AM
Brilliant. That worked perfectly. Thanks fir the help....maybe apple should get someone to give useful advice instead of stuffing around....
geekin- Jun 15, 2010 12:46PM
excellent! thanks!
eeee- Jun 18, 2010 12:40PM
it works, but i have to import all my music files again~~
helpmeplz- Jul 9, 2010 10:36PM
how to you change the file name?
Dee- Jul 10, 2010 03:52PM
It wont work for me, can someone help please!
Answer
+23
moins plus
i had the same problem it was saying cannot open itues itl as it was created by a newer version, even though i hadnt touched it, so i downloaded the very lastest version of itunes, did not uninstall the old version and it seemed to work, did not lose anything in my music libary.

Answer
+23
moins plus
go to itunes file

you will find file called " itune library " rename the file to " iTunes Libary.itl"

and good luck :D

Wagman- Jul 17, 2010 01:54PM
It worked for me. Thanks so much!!!
Answer
+12
moins plus
This solution totally worked thank you!!!

Answer
+9
moins plus
The way I fixed this problem was so insanely simple that I can't believe it worked. All I did was:

-Opened the iTunes folder
-Right clicked on iTunes Library file and rename it to 'iTunes Library Old'

And it worked. I had to re-import all of my songs again, but now everything is running perfectly smooth.

dfg- Apr 25, 2010 03:53PM
thanks you soooooo much..
it worked
Coffee- May 26, 2010 11:48PM
Don't rename the iTunes Library, just right click it, go to Open With, and choose iTunes.
Pumpkin- Jun 6, 2010 07:34AM
This helped so much...so easy also
Jeeeessssssss- Jul 15, 2010 01:06AM
it worked! wow, all i had to do was get my music out of itunes music folder and then drag it in itunes! works like a charm!
Answer
+8
moins plus
Hi I am on vista home and something has happened to my iTunes here is the message:
The Folder iTunes cannot be found and is required for the default location. Fold is inside "Music" Folder.
I have deleted iTunes many times and have even tried older versions and no luck. I have added a music folder in iTunes and still nothing. T hope that someone can help me.

Answer
+8
moins plus
The process is very simple.

Step 1: Uninstall iTunes.
Step 2: After uninstalling iTunes is complete go to "My Documents".
Step 3: In "My Documents" open "My Music" folder. Here u will still find a folder named "iTunes".
Step 4: Just delete the iTunes folder.
Step 5: Reinstall iTunes.

This process should fix the problem.

arjun kataria- Jul 11, 2010 07:38PM
thanx
it worked and is the mst easier way :)
Answer
+5
moins plus
thanq it worked....

Answer
+5
moins plus
amazing thanks had it going in 2 minutes! legend!!!

Answer
+2
moins plus
This worked for me also, I have Windows 7 so it took me a bit to figure it out. But all I did was rename the old Itunes Library file and the retried to launch the application and it totally worked. Thank you!

Answer
+1
moins plus
Did you upgrade your itunes recently?

Sam- May 11, 2009 05:55PM
i have the same problem, unfortunately i did not update it to the newest version PLEASE HELP!
Answer
+1
moins plus
the file iTune.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTune

Answer
+0
moins plus
I have a mac but i think I found the solution for the people who still could not get this to work. Simply, there are now two itunes folders. I found mine under music, and library. Go into both. select all the songs you wanna keep and put them in a seperate folder on you desktop. Then delete both itunes folders. Now re-download the same itunes you were using and it should work. Hope this is helpful.

Answer
+0
moins plus
OMG!!!!! thank you SOOOOO much! this totally worked! i can't believe it!!! awesome!!! thanks again!!!!!!!

Steph- Jun 27, 2010 03:32AM
It worked for me too!!!! Thank you!
Answer
+0
moins plus
Thank you!! it worked in 2010!! woohoo!

Answer
+0
moins plus
I went to my itunes folder and deleted everything except for the Itunes Music Folder. Then I opened itunes, clicked on file then add folder to library. I chose the Itunes Music Folder. It's taking a while to add the folder (I have a ton of stuff) but it seems to be working pretty well.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Uninstall Apple Bonjour and you should be okay with iTunes

Answer
+0
moins plus
this works for me because i have my other (2nd) mac with the same library setup

1. delete all the files in the itunes previous library except the latest one
2. export the library from my 2nd mac : itunes, file, library, export library (.xml file)

and transfer the library file (.xml) into my mac with itunes problem to its desktop

start itunes (no songs)
then go to file, add to library and just find the the .xml file on the desktop
voila.
hope this helps.

Answer
+0
moins plus
i had this problem too and just fixed it. go into the folder that was listed in the first post, and go to the files "itunes library", "itunes library extras", and "itunes library genius", go to properties and make sure the "read-only" box is not checked.

i unchecked all mine, and it opened right up.

1 2 Next
This document entitled « my itunes library cannot be read because i » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.