WD External Drive missing in my computer

Solved/Closed
lcgomez Posts 3 Registration date Friday January 29, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 2, 2016 - Jan 29, 2016 at 02:19 PM
Dombrizzle Posts 1 Registration date Monday November 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen November 7, 2016 - Nov 7, 2016 at 02:32 AM
Hello :) Please help!! I have external WD hardrive 1 TB contains lots of important data. All of a sudden, it does not appear in my computer. When i tried to check on Disk Management it was visible and healthy but no File System appeared. When I right click the "primary partition" , It shows all other options are remained inactive except "Delete Volume and Help" Please help...I dont want o lose my DATA.
Related:

4 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 1, 2016 at 02:38 AM
Hi Icgomez,

I am sorry for any inconveniency caused by your WD drive. Checking in Disk Management was the right decision. Sadly problems like this may appear unexpectedly. I strongly recommend you to check the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. If the issue persists, I would suggest you to try some data recovery tools or booting from a Linux Live CD. Unix based system may grant you access to your files. If you successfully backup your data, use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to check the drive for errors. I leave you download link. Is the drive under warranty?
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=66uHBy

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply and suggestions, i have tried already to plug into another PC, desktop it does the same thing. Booting from Linux is a new thing to me. though i have done all the possibilities. Regardless of the warranty, all i care is my data.. after that i can used other utility to reformat my HD.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > lcgomez
Feb 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM
Try with Linux. It could really save your information. No installation is required. You only need to boot from a USB or a CD and check if the drive is recognized. If you have valuable photos or videos on the drive, connecting it to a TV might show better results than with a PC, so try that too. If the TV sees the files, there is a great chance that Linux might see them too.
Check the Downloads section of this forum for some data recovery suggestions:
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/
I forgot to tell you one thing, Actually, i have first discovered when it was not recognized on my smart tv... the Hard drive contains of HD Movies which i valued a lot more. So when i connecto to my laptop, it doesn't recognize at all and made me nervous about all my important files. I then connected to another desktop it does the same. So the only new for me now which i haven't try yet is to boot on Linux. Hope it will do... Thank again for you kind patience and help.. appreciate a lot :)
lcgomez Posts 3 Registration date Friday January 29, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 2, 2016 1
Feb 1, 2016 at 01:01 PM
I have tried one of the utility you have suggested, " Recover My Files " Its pretty convincing it shows the content of my HD but this apps need to be activated. Are there any other freeware before i go with this? Please see the screenshot below .. Thanks
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 2, 2016 at 03:33 AM
To be honest, I haven’t used those utilities. I pointed them out because I have heard some good feedback about them. I am really sorry, but as a WD representative, I cannot recommend you any software. I hope someone will suggest something. It is a really good sign that the data appeared. That means that the information is still readable and you only need the right tool.
I hope you will get all your data back.
lcgomez Posts 3 Registration date Friday January 29, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 2, 2016 1
Feb 2, 2016 at 04:20 AM
Thanks Buddy!!! Im already in the processed of backing up my files!! I bought another 1TB to transfer all my files.. You guys have brought up this ideas!!! Thank You very much for your help!!! consider this as a solved problem.
Dombrizzle Posts 1 Registration date Monday November 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen November 7, 2016
Nov 7, 2016 at 02:32 AM
I replied to this but its not here ???

Remove from case, Freezer 2 hrs, then lay it on its side longways with the ports up and resting against something at a 65 degree angle, Plug it in, Run HDD regenerator or DRevitalize, DO NOT USE windows built in scanner, Transfer files.