External HDD not showing in My Computer

Closed
gopu123 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 4, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 4, 2016 - Feb 4, 2016 at 01:16 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Feb 5, 2016 at 03:14 AM
Hello,

My 1 TB Seagate accidentally fall from my hand. The Green Light glows up in External HDD and spinddle is also moving/revolving. But it doesn't showing in my computer. Went to devmgmt.msc. It shows it but not able to assign any drive letter to it. Neither its allowing to format the same.
Please help.
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 4, 2016 at 02:47 AM
Hi Gopu123,

Sadly, hard drives are really fragile devices and any drop may cause physical damage. Are there any strange noises coming from the drive? I strongly recommend you to try the device on another PC and with another USB cable. Do you have valuable data on the drive?
If assigning a letter through Disk Management is not an option, try through the Command Prompt using the Diskpart command. It should look like this:

Diskpart
List Volume
Select Volume n (n is the number of the drive)
Assign letter=L (or any letter you like and is not in use)
Exit

Could you confirm that the drive appear in Disk Management with correct file format?

Hope this helps

gopu123 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 4, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 4, 2016
Feb 4, 2016 at 10:50 PM
Hi,

Yes, there are strange noise coming from the HDD. ie, When HDD revolves it makes noise like something is stopping from smooth movement or the spindle is sticking to something while revolving.

I have tried the same HDD on 2 different Laptop and Desktop and with Different cable but no help :(

Yes.. I need only the MY DOCUMENT Folder which contains all valuable data. Its nearly 5 GB folder with all my Scan document, PST's and Official data.

Is there anyway out i can recover those files?

I have tried assigning drive letters to HDD but its not allowing.

Please help..
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 5, 2016 at 03:14 AM
Search for a Linux Live CD. Try booting from it and try accessing the drive. Sometimes it grants access to drives which do not appear in Windows. Another option is to check the Downloads section of this forum and test some data recovery tools. I hope you will be able to save your data!