Copy files to external hard drive

Closed
booherha Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday February 10, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 10, 2016 - Feb 10, 2016 at 08:17 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Feb 10, 2016 at 10:16 AM
I can't copy files to my external tb drive
Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Feb 10, 2016 at 10:16 AM
Hey there, booherha.

Do you get any specific error message when you've tried to copy files to your external drive? Did anything in particular happen before that issue occurred? Do you need to recover data from it?

If the drive is recognized and accessible via Windows Manager (This PC, My Computer), I'd recommend that you backup all the files you have on it, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and try the drive with a different computer and a different USB cable (preferably shorter than 12"), to see if the same thing happens.
If the drive is not recognized in Windows explorer, check if it shows up in Device Manager or Disk Management and please post a screenshot of what you see about the HDD and its partitions in Disk Management.
Other than that, if you don't need to recover any data, I'd recommend that you download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool (or a 3rd party diagnostic tool if the manufacturer doesn't offer one), to try and test the drive, to see if there anything out of the ordinary.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative