JPG & PDF files to MP3 files.

Closed
Russ - Feb 26, 2016 at 10:40 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Feb 28, 2016 at 04:35 PM
I open what I thought was an invoice for something I just had purchased over the phone but it was just a coincidence and it was a virus. It converted all my jpeg and pdf files to mp3 files. I have clicked on properties and changed it that did not work. I changed what I opened it with and that did not work. I have done most everything I can think of including reloading Windows (without wiping out actual files) and I still have the issues. Grateful for any help I can get! I cannot even find anything like this happening before!
Related:

4 responses

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Feb 26, 2016 at 11:44 PM
Hi Russ,

Yes it is ofcourse a virus, which change all your folders and file format. There are few mails that titled as INVOICE is roaming around in our company pc's and we advice the users to not open them unless they are sure. Your pc need to be clean, Our Virus and security Admin Ambucias will help you to remove all virus and clean your pc. I will notify him about this.

Regards.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 27, 2016 at 05:35 AM
To help you and prescribe the remedy, I must make a diagnostic and to do so, I require a report.

1. Open this link and download ZHPDiag3 :
https://nicolascoolman.eu
(Don't be alarmed is the site is in French, it sometimes happens, the tool will take your system language and allow the download if you get a warning message, ignore it.) Click on the download button

2. Save the file on your Desktop.

3. Double click on ZHPDiag.exe and follow the installation instructions.

(For Vista, Win 7 and 8 users, click right to ensure you execute with admin right)

4. Double click on the short cut ZHPDiag on your Destktop.

5. Click on Full.

Wait for the tool to finished (maybe a long time)

6. Close ZHPDiag.

7. To transmit the report, click on this link :

https://authentification.site

8. Search the directory where you installed ZHPDiag (usually C:\desktop\zhpdiag.txt).
9. Copy the url link obtained from Speedyshare and paste it here in your reply.
Ambucias
Moderator and Virus/Security Contributor
when I downloaded the file I moved it to Desktop and I double clicked on it as told. Once downloaded I opened it and there was no FULL button to click on. There was three buttons across Scan, repair and report.I did the scan and received a report and I uploaded the report. Here is the link! http://speedy.sh/CVkFg/ZHPDiag.txt I hope I did everything correctly and thank you for your help.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171 > George
Feb 27, 2016 at 04:27 PM
Thanks,

Please stand-by.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Feb 27, 2016 at 04:45 PM
There two malware in your system.

To remove them we shall follow the following steps:

1. Download, install and run adwcleaner which you will find here:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/6911-adwcleaner/

2. Go to this link and the download will start automatically, save on your desktop:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/dl/131/

close all applications and run the tool as administrator.

A adwcleaner and junkware report will be generated.

You can upload them on speedyshare.

Good luck
I am afraid I am back to square one. I downloaded the ADWCleaner but my computer and when I tried to load it a blue window came up and said that this app cannot run on my computer and I should find a version for my computer but I had the correct version. So I read in a related forum if ADW did not work to try Kaspersky virus remover but that did not work. The I tried Rogue Killer and it said that there were two viruses but when it found them Windows Defender popped up saying it had removed the virus or adware. I turned off Windows Defender in case it was blocking the other programs from working, I restarted the computer and no change.then I tried Malwarebytes and it said I had 16 viruses or adware. I restarted my computer and my JPEG and PDF files were still MP3 files. I ran the Malwarebytes again and it found nothing. I also ZHPDIAG and it said that there was nothing found. When I click on properties of my JPEG or PDF files it said that the type of file is MP3 still. Any other suggestions? Thank you again for all your help!

George
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171 > George
Feb 28, 2016 at 06:06 AM
Do you still have this file:

C:\Users\George\Downloads\Panda2016_Setup.exe
George > Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023
Feb 28, 2016 at 11:25 AM
No, Panda setup is no longer there.
mark > George
Feb 28, 2016 at 06:08 AM
were you getting all the windows poping up to
George > mark
Feb 28, 2016 at 11:28 AM
I do not believe so, when I was running Rogue Killer I would see a window pop up from he side saying Windows Defender was deleting the virus that Rogue found but it was not.
Feb 28, 2016 at 04:35 PM
George,

I don't think there are anymore viruses.

However, your jpeg and pdf files cannot be recovered because they were encrypted by a ransomware, to this date there are no known remedy.

You may get a message asking for money in return for the decryption of your files. Ignore the message. If pay the money, the pirates will not decrypt your files, they don't even know how, but they will take your cash.

I also suggest that you adopt a more efficient antivirus suite, one that may warn you about e-mail viruses. F-Secure and Kaspersky, according to my experience, are the best on the market.

Good luck