Phantom of monitor and bootup

Solved/Closed
mechone Posts 8 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016 - Feb 27, 2016 at 12:19 PM
mechone Posts 8 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016 - Mar 31, 2016 at 09:57 AM
I have a Microsoft Windows model name a6437c Hp Pavilion which had Vista then 7 Home Premium,during a image backup system recovery had a power failure and system was severely compromized so I cleared the hdd and had a new partition wrote to hdd NTFS version it is flaged as set active and as primary.About one out of every 25 startups the monitor might have a picture then flash something at botom of screen about BIOS being corrupt or missing.Monitor is definitely getting signal power all fans,all lights,dvd seems to work and power buttom you have to force power off hold till it goes off.Four long beeps with a pause then repeats.Oh all this was going on before servicing hdd.I did have some chances to recover but they were unsuccessful to this point.But without monitor and no way to remote system I am not sure what to do.No boot need help.Please
Related:

2 responses

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 27, 2016 at 01:21 PM
As far as I know, the HP Pavilion A6437C uses a Foxconn MCP73M01H1 motherboard. This uses an Award BIOS. Unfortunately I can find no documentation that mentions a 4 beep code with an Award BIOS.

What you could try is to unplug the power to the computer, and then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard. Leave it for an hour or so and WITH NO POWER ATTACHED press the power on switch and hold it in for about 30 seconds. There may also be a jumper to clear the CMOS settings. You could try resetting it by (with the power unplugged) move the jumper across and then move it back again.

Hopefully when you power up again the BIOS message will be no more.

Please let me know how you get on.
mechone Posts 8 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016
Feb 27, 2016 at 07:54 PM
Hi Brian thank you for helping me.Well I tried those things still not working yet. But I did learn that i have no power signal input I have HDMI signal input instead. I know the monitor works because I hooked my laptop to it worked fine.It is A HPw2207h monitor. Oh the computer is not making beeping sounds over and over anymore.Getting a little closer I think.
mechone Posts 8 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016
Feb 27, 2016 at 08:01 PM
Oh I still have to power down and hold till off.Thanks again
Feb 28, 2016 at 11:11 AM
Hi Brian I really do thank you for your help.The monitor does receive HDMI or VGA input signal there are 2 more slots across the screen that read input signal but there blank.But I think the CPU is were I need to look I noticed last night it did not seem to get hot to touch not sure how to pursue.Oh the link only shows successful
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Mar 1, 2016 at 12:48 AM
Ok Mechone,

Lets try and take this machine to the bare essentials. My feeling is that your processor or motherboard has given up the ghost. There could be other things going on, but lets strip your machine to the bare essentials.

However before we do that, because this issue started after the hard drive format, try removing the hard drive and booting up. Hopefully you will get a message on the screen that there are no bootable devices (assuming there is no DVD or CD in the optical drive).

If things don't go well, then follow the rest of this post (leaving your hard drive off) ...

Remove anything that is plugged into your machine - printers, keyboards, power - anything. Now open the side and make a note (and ideally some photos) of where things are plugged in to. Remove any expansion cards that are installed (be careful with the graphics card - they often have catches on them to keep them in). Don't remove any wires yet.

Now plug your monitor into the on board VGA socket at the back.

Finally turn on the machine (you don't need a mouse or keyboard for this test).

If the machine boots up normally (to a black screen telling you there are no bootable devices), then add the components one at a time, switching on and shutting down each time until it stops booting. The last component you install is likely to be the issue.

If the machine doesn't boot we will need to go a bit further by removing all but one memory stick and any drives you have installed (hard drive, DVD drive, CD drive etc).

If it still fails then there isn't much else to go bad - just the processor and motherboard.

Please get back to me and tell me how you get on - and don't forget to take photos or make notes.
Mar 1, 2016 at 12:35 PM
Hi Brian Thank you again.Well I did you all said in the order you laid out.Results monitor shows no signal then goes to sleep fans still work green power light near cord works but that is about it.But I did find something on the motherboard.I think I found 5 capacitors on the board same size with their tops pushed up and orange looking dry stuff they are tucked in around processor.Still needing input on this.Thanks Brian
Mar 1, 2016 at 06:54 PM
Hi Mechone,

Yes - that could cause this issue. Im afraid a new motherboard is needed ... even if this is not the root cause of the problem (which I am sure it is!) - a perfect time to upgrade - not many machines have a PS2 mouse and keyboard socket now!

Good luck with finding a replacement.
Mar 1, 2016 at 10:41 PM
Thank you Brian and I will let you know when I figure that out.!!!
Mar 31, 2016 at 09:57 AM
Brian thank you for your help it was the mobo but I was able to save it replaced about a doz pieces on board and in power unit and updated Bios works great . Also while I was at It upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Thank you very much!!!