Computer is taking forever to startup and shutdown w/blk screen

Closed
NotSoComputerNerd - May 10, 2016 at 01:08 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 10, 2016 at 03:31 PM
Last night my computer was accidentally unplugged,
first it started off with the screen going completely black with just the mouse cursor on the screen but after a while started booting up but very slowly.
Now the computer starts up but doesn't completely load when doing so and it takes forever. It is also the same thing when it comes to the shutdown.

I am not exactly sure what is wrong or what I could possibly do to remedy the problem.
I have turned off the computer using the power switch in the back, with no resolve.

How do I fix this?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 10, 2016 at 03:04 PM
You probably can't. You probably have a hardware problem either with the hard drive or the motherboard. It will take "hands-on" access by a PC Tech to diagnose the problem.
NotSoComputerNerd Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday May 10, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 10, 2016
May 10, 2016 at 03:12 PM
So I am not sure if you can clarify any simpler than you have but what do you suggest I do? Take it to someone who knows what they are doing? Clearly not me. But maybe someone around me can try if I know what needs to be done exactly.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826 > NotSoComputerNerd Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday May 10, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 10, 2016
May 10, 2016 at 03:31 PM
That's the problem no one KNOWS what the problem is until he/she can examine the hardware/software in person.

It's possible the computer was in the middle of a Windows update and now Windows needs to repaired and or replaced. Microsoft has not provided many tools to rectify this type problem and you have not told us the version of Windows you have. Even if a repair tool exists, one would need a working PC to download it. If the computer is over six/seven years old I recommend buying a new one rather than spend money to fix this one.

A good PC repair shop can evaluate the hardware and determine if the problem is hardware or software caused. The simplistic home method is to download and burn a Linux CD - change the boot order in the BIOS and attempt to boot from the CD. Successful booting would eliminate a hardware problem.

Good luck