Computer not booting Strange fan issue

Closed
Helinos_ - May 16, 2016 at 09:17 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 17, 2016 at 12:55 PM
Hello,

I own a Toshiba Satellite L55-A5385 and, as you may have guessed
my computer is refusing to boot up!

I know I can turn the power on, but then it just stays there at a black screen, and the fan will be running, except, it'll be fluctuating, almost like breathing.

This problem has been going on for a while now. You see, if I let the computer try to boot for a little bit, then turn it off by, holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds, and turn it back on, it has a chance of successfully booting up (most of the time it doesn't and will just sit there with the fan running) however, you still have to wait awhile. You have to repeat this, turning on, waiting, and repeating for quite a while be for it actually works.

I've stayed away from turning it off, but sometimes from getting unplugged, or an automatic update, it still tries to find away.

Concerningly, it has been taking longer, and longer to do this turn on and back off boot thing, to the point where, well, it just won't boot up anymore (I've been at it for three days now).

I have increased the ram from 8gb to 16gb (but this was quite some time ago, and before this thing started happening), and I would also like to note that I've disabled Secure Boot, as I've booted up into Ubuntu off of a harddrive before.

I would like to restate that he fan does its breathing thing, and at a steady pace, for the entire duration of the "boot up" as I haven't seen this happen anywhere else.

Hopefully this hasn't been too confusing, I've been know for writing forum posts in a very incomprehensible manner, thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Cheers!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 17, 2016 at 12:55 PM
It appears that you have a hardware problem on the motherboard. I suggest you buy a new laptop rather than try to replace the motherboard. Y0u can probably remove the hard drive and convert it to an external hard drive.

Good luck