Western digital external drive problem

Closed
korgoth - May 20, 2016 at 08:13 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - May 23, 2016 at 06:01 AM
Hello,

My External USB Hard Drive (WD My Book Essential 2GB) doesn't show up in My Computer Win 7 64bit.
I've checked the Computer Management, Disk Management, but nothing about my External HD showed up. In the notification area, my laptop still detected it and I can removed it properly.
I've tried connect to 2,3 another computer and had same problem. I can't format it because of data i need.
Can someone help me with this?

tnx
Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
May 20, 2016 at 09:42 AM
Hi Korgoth,

I am sorry for any inconveniency caused by your My Book drive. You have done good job, trying to connect it to another PC. So, there is no sigh of the drive in Disk Management? I strongly recommend you to change the USB cable and try again. Furthermore, run the Command Prompt and type the commands:
Diskpart
List disk

Is the drive listed there? When you connected the drive to another PC, did the system install the necessary drivers after the first plug in?

Hope this helps

hi,

i've tried with command prompt, also recognized, and when i connect drive to another PC, system install the necessary drivers after the first plug in, but again can't wiew in my computer...
I have not another 3.0 cable, with 2,0 still doesn't work.
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
May 23, 2016 at 06:01 AM
Hello all,

@korgoth, can you confirm that the My Book is spinning correctly? Is there any clicking sound coming out from the drive when you try to connect it. I would also like to know if you have tried to power up the drive with another power supply with the same specifications. The one you've got may have failed.
If your external WD device is still under warranty you can bring it to a company authorized by WD to make the repair. If not, I'm giving you the link to our Support so you could raise a ticket with your case here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=wNKC7J

Good luck!