Hard disk not detected in BIOS [Solved]

Ask a question Anupam - Latest answer on Jun 27, 2016 05:19AM
I am using Win 7 on Sony vaio laptop (model number VGN-NR11Z/T). Recently I tried to start it, but it shows " no operating system found". I checked the bios and "Hard disk: None". I applied the default settings in BIOS and restart the laptop, but it didnt improve. So I gave up.
After few hours, I again check bios and surprisingly it shows my hard disk. So I start the laptop and was working in it. Suddenly the laptop went on to shutdown automatically without any notification and the same message "no operating system found" was appeared.
Then many times I have seen hard disk listed in bios and can login into my laptop for few minutes. Also many times It didnt show any hard disk in Bios.
Please let me know how can I repair my laptop.
See more 
moins plus
You need to determine why the BIOS can't find the hard disk.
Possible reasons are:

1. the hard disk is failing and needs to be replaced.
2. the cable or connector from the computer to hard disk is not making good contact and needs to be cleaned or replaced.
3. the laptop motherboard is failing.

This diagnosis will probably need to be made by a qualified PC Tech.

Good Luck
Add comment
moins plus
Hi Anupam,

You may be facing some connectivity issues. Is this a new hard drive or you have been using it some time? If the laptop is under warranty, contact the seller and ask for guidance.
If the warranty has expired, I would open the laptop and check if the hard drive is properly placed. Remove it and reconnect it back. I strongly recommend you to backup all data the next time you are able to boot. It is really hard to tell you if it is a HDD problem or a laptop problem and, as xpcman said, you may need to consult a technician.

Hope this helps

Anupam- Jun 23, 2016 05:59AM
Thanks for your reply. My laptop is quite old (about 8 years). I have not changed/replaced anything since I purchased it.

Going to a technician will be very expensive. I dont want to do it for such an old laptop. I am thinking to open the laptop on my own and to check if the hard disk is properly placed. However being inexperienced, I am not feeling confident enough. Any guidance will be appreciated.
R2D2_WD 2941Posts Monday September 1, 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus October 14, 2016 Last seen - Jun 24, 2016 03:20AM
Firstly, if it is possible to boot, backup all data. Search for your laptop’s manual or download one from the manufacturer’s web page. The hard drive removal process may be different depending on the laptop’s model, but in general you may need to remove the bottom of the laptop. Check if the hard drive’s place. Hopefully you will be able to reach if without removing any parts. There may be a small case you may need to remove to reach the drive. Remove it and clean the ports. Reconnect it and try to boot again. If the problem persists, remove the drive and connect it to another PC as a secondary drive. Check if it is fully accessible.
Anupam- Jun 27, 2016 05:19AM
I have opened back panel of laptop and removed the hard disk. After few minutes, again I placed the hard disk back to its position, screwed the back panel door. Surprisingly the computer is running normally. Since last 2 days, I am running my laptop and so far have not faced any issue. Thanks for yr suggestion.
Add comment

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!