Hard disk not detected in BIOS

Solved/Closed
Anupam - Updated on Jan 29, 2019 at 06:03 AM
 Anupam - Jun 27, 2016 at 05:19 AM
Hello,

I am using Windows 7 on Sony Vaio laptop (model number VGN-NR11Z/T). Recently, I tried to start it, but it shows "no operating system found".

I checked the BIOS and "Hard disk: None". I applied the default settings in BIOS and restarted the laptop. But, it didn't improve. So I gave up!

After a few hours, I again checked BIOS and surprisingly it shown my hard disk. So, I start the laptop and was working in it. Suddenly, the laptop went to shut down automatically without any notification and the same message - "no operating system found" - appeared on the screen.

Since then, many times, I have seen hard disk listed in BIOS and can log into my laptop for a few minutes. Also many times, it didn't show any hard disk in BIOS.

Please let me know how to repair my laptop!

Thanks
System Configuration: Windows / Chrome 51.0.2704.103

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Updated on Jan 29, 2019 at 06:07 AM
Hey,

You need to determine why the BIOS can't find the hard disk. Possible reasons are:
  • The hard disk is failing and needs to be replaced.
  • The cable or connector from the computer to the hard disk is not making good contact and needs to be cleaned or replaced.
  • the laptop motherboard is failing.

This diagnosis will probably need to be made by a qualified PC Tech.

Good Luck