Need help to choose the 1st hard drive

Closed
fredia0240 Posts 2 Registration date Monday July 11, 2016 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2016 - Jul 11, 2016 at 06:37 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jul 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM
Hello, guys. I'm a fresh enough here, not only in this forum but in tech questions, too. Want to purchase a hard drive for my laptop, because don't have any free memory on it at all.
the main points which i think are very important:
- portability;
- OS Compatibility: windows and mac os ( i don't have mac, but to dream is not harmful...);
- and the last is durability. I've heard and read a lot of reviews that hard drives can work good, but at one day they just stop working without any reason.

After reading dozens of reviews, such as https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/portable-hdd-storage,2561.html?_ga=1.161600764.1759872035.1466691305 and https://www.bestadvisor.com/portable-hard-drives , I decided to choose Seagate.
Have some questions and hope you'll help me.
1) Can I use this for XBox one?
2) How many rpms is this drive? 7200, 5400?
3) What about its warranty?

Or maybe you can recommend any other good model? anyway, any help and advice will be pretty appreciated, thanks in advance.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jul 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM
Hi Fredia,

Having an external drive to extend the capacity is a good decision but have in mind that the best way to use an external is to keep a copy of the important data on it, no moving the data on the external. The goal is to have at least two copies of your most important data. As you mentioned, a hard drive may fail unexpectedly, because these are very fragile devices. Keep in mind that there are no fail resistant devices and should use an external drive with caution.
You should be able to use the drive with an Xbox One console. There is no information about the RPMs of the external drives. If it is important to you, you can get an internal drive and put it in an enclosure. Here comes the important question: What are you going to use the drive for? If it is only for storage purposes, you do not need a high RPM drive.
In order to be sure about the warranty, check the drive manufacturer’s web page. Keep in mind that not only warranty matters, but customer service level too.
You can use an external drive on PC and Mac, but both systems use different file formats. In order to use the drive on both, you may need to format it in EXfat format.

Hope this helps